INDIANA'S INTERLOCKINGS

NICKEL PLATE ROAD

Sandusky Division

Now mostly owned by Norfolk Southern.


Click for Google Map of Lafayette

LAFAYETTE JCT.
Mechanical interlocking installed 1899
Replaced with automatic interlocking 1980's

Crossing of Monon main line and paralleling Wabash main line with Nickel Plate LE&W line. Southwest of the interlocking, the Monon line would cross under the Wabash line.

ALTAMONT (Lafayette)
Electric interlocking installed 1930
Closed 1980, remotely controlled by CTC dispatcher

Junction with New York Central Indiana Division, abandoned 1985, which had trackage rights via Nickel Plate LE&W line west through Lafayette.

WY TOWER (Frankfort)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1946
Closed by 1970's, remotely controlled by CTC dispatcher

West end Frankfort yard, and junction of Sandusky Division and Cloverleaf District, abandoned 1988.

Click for Google Map of Frankfort

FRANKFORT
Tower listed with Monon

FRANKFORT
Tower listed with Pennsylvania Railroad

TIPTON
Interlocking installed after 1916
Replaced with automatic interlocking by 1990's

Former crossing with Nickel Plate Indianapolis Division.

ELWOOD
Tower listed with Pennsylvania Railroad

DUNDEE
Electric interlocking installed before 1906

Former crossing with electric Union Traction Co., abandoned 1931.

ALEXANDRIA
Automatic interlocking installed 1937

Crossing with New York Central Marion District.

MUNCIE
Tower listed with New York Central

VANCE (Muncie)
Tower listed with New York Central

RED KEY
Tower listed with Pennsylvania Railroad

PORTLAND
Electric interlocking installed 1931
Replaced with automatic interlocking 1960's

Former crossing with Pennsylvania Railroad Fort Wayne Branch, abandoned 1976.


EARLY CTC INSTALLATIONS

Arcadia OH-Lima-St. Marys-Frankfort IN
Installed 1947, control machine in dispatcher's office in Lima OH
Completed 1949