INDIANA'S INTERLOCKINGS

NEW YORK CENTRAL

Ohio Division

Now owned by CSX.

Double track line originally with single direction ABS, with segments receiving CTC in later years.


ANSONIA
Mechanical interlocking installed 1921
Closed 1980's, remotely controlled by CTC dispatcher

Former crossing with New York Central Northern Branch, not included in Conrail 1976.

UNION CITY
Electric interlocking installed 1929
Closed late 1960's, remotely controlled from Ansonia

Former crossing with Pennsylvania Railroad Logansport Division, abandoned 1992.

WINCHESTER
Mechanical interlocking installed before 1906
Replaced with automatic interlocking 1964

Former crossing with Pennsylvania Railroad Fort Wayne Branch, abandoned 1974.

PARKER CITY
Mechanical interlocking installed 1922
Closed by 1930's

Little is known about this short lived interlocking, other than apparently it served primarily as a block station.

VANCE (Muncie)
Mechanical interlocking installed before 1906

Crossing of New York Central Ohio Division and paralleling Nickel Plate Sandusky Division, with Pennsylvania Railroad Muncie Branch, abandoned 1976, and Chesapeake & Ohio Miami Subdivision, abandoned 1992. The Chesapeake & Ohio line was later rerouted underneath the other railroads.

Click for Google Map of Muncie

MUNCIE
Electric interlocking installed before 1906
Closed 1980's, remotely controlled by CTC dispatcher

Crossing and junction of New York Central Ohio Division and paralleling Nickel Plate Sandusky Division, with Nickel Plate New Castle Division.

GRIDLEY (Anderson)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1895
Closed 1980's, remotely controlled by CTC dispatcher

East end separate tracks through Anderson, former crossing of south track with Pennsylvania Railroad Richmond Branch, abandoned 1993, and former crossing with Central Indiana Railway, abandoned 1928.

Click for Google Map of Anderson

DELCO (Anderson)
Tower listed with Pennsylvania Railroad

SOUTH ANDERSON
Non interlocked crossing

Junction and crossing of south track with Marion District.

ANDERSON
Electric interlocking installed 1944
Closed around 1966, remotely controlled from Gridley

Junction and crossing of north track with Marion District.

CI CROSSING (Anderson)
Mechanical interlocking installed before 1906

Former crossing with Central Indiana Railway, abandoned 1986.

PRR CROSSING (Anderson)
Tower listed with Pennsylvania Railroad

TAFT (Anderson)
Interlocking installed after 1916
Closed around 1964, remotely controlled from Gridley

West end separate tracks through Anderson.

FORTVILLE
Interlocking installed 1911
Closed by 1930's

Little is known about this short lived interlocking, other than it may have controlled crossovers.

EASTWOOD
Interlocking installed 1910

Little is known about this interlocking, other than it might have been at the east end of an old freight yard.

Click for Google Map of Indianapolis

BELT JCT. (Indianapolis)
Mechanical interlocking installed before 1906

Connection with Indianapolis Belt.

DX TOWER (Indianapolis)
Mechanical interlocking installed before 1906
Replaced with automatic interlocking 1980's

Former connection with Springfield Branch.

MASSACHUSETTS AVENUE (Indianapolis)
Electric interlocking installed 1908
Closed late 1970's

Former junction with Monon Indianapolis Line and Nickel Plate Indianapolis Division, enabling those railroads access to Indianapolis Union Station.