INDIANA'S INTERLOCKINGS

NICKEL PLATE ROAD

Chicago Division

Now owned by Norfolk Southern.

Double track line between Chicago and Van Loon.


Click for Google Map of Chicago/Far South

JN/BROOKLINE
Tower listed with New York Central

PULLMAN JCT.
Tower listed with Belt Railway of Chicago

CUMMINGS BRIDGE
Mechanical interlocking installed 1900
STILL IN USE

Drawbridge over the Calumet River.

BURNHAM
Tower listed with Pennsylvania Railroad

STATE LINE
Tower listed with Chicago & Western Indiana

Click for Google Maps of Northwest Indiana

CALUMET RIVER
Tower listed with Erie Railroad

HOHMAN AVENUE
Tower listed with Indiana Harbor Belt

OSBORN
Tower listed with Indiana Harbor Belt

VAN LOON
Tower listed with Elgin Joliet & Eastern

SOUTH GARY
Electric interlocking installed 1926
Replaced with automatic interlocking 1960

Former crossing with New York Central Joliet Branch, abandoned 1976.

HOBART
Tower listed with Elgin Joliet & Eastern

SPRIGGSBORO (Valparaiso)
Tower listed with Grand Trunk Western

SOUTH WANATAH
Mechanical interlocking installed 1926
Replaced with automatic interlocking 1956

Former crossing with Monon Michigan City Branch, abandoned 1980.

THOMASTON
Mechanical interlocking installed 1926
Replaced with automatic interlocking 1930

Crossing with Pere Marquette La Crosse Subdivision.

KNOX
Mechanical interlocking installed before 1906
Replaced with automatic interlocking 1957

Former crossing with New York Central Kankakee Branch, abandoned 1982.

HIBBARD
Interlocking installed after 1916
Replaced with automatic interlocking around 1953

Former crossing with Pennsylvania Railroad South Bend Branch, abandoned 1973.

ARGOS
Interlocking installed after 1916
Closed by 1980's

Crossing with former Nickel Plate Indianapolis Division, now Elkhart & Western Railroad and Fulton County Railroad.

CLAYPOOL
Tower listed with New York Central

SOUTH WHITLEY
Tower listed with Pennsylvania Railroad

WEST WAYNE/RUNNION AVENUE
Interlocking installed after 1916
Closed 1974

Former crossing with Pennsylvania Railroad Grand Rapids Division, abandoned 1982.

Click for Google Map of Fort Wayne

WEST WAYNE
Remote interlocking installed 1952, controlled from uncertain location

Former crossing with New York Central Fort Wayne Branch, not included in Conrail 1976.

NE TOWER (New Haven)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1894
Closed by 1980's

Crossing with Wabash main line, east end of a double track segment on Wabash main line, now a junction for Norfolk Southern.


EARLY CTC INSTALLATIONS

Hadley-South Whitley-Claypool-Argos-Knox-Van Loon
Installed 1942, control machine in dispatcher's office in Fort Wayne
Control machine expanded 1946 and 1951
Completed 1953