CHICAGO'S INTERLOCKINGS

CHICAGO & WESTERN INDIANA

Main Line (south of 74th Street)

Now owned by Norfolk Southern.

Double track line. Trackage south of Pullman Jct. abandoned around 1990's as redundant to paralleling former Nickel Plate line.


Click for Google Map of Chicago/Far South

79TH STREET
Mechanical interlocking installed 1889

Crossing, prior to elevation of Rock Island over Chicago & Western Indiana in 1912.

80TH STREET
Tower listed with Belt Railway of Chicago

81ST STREET
Mechanical interlocking installed 1893

Originally known as Hammond Jct. Junction between main line and Dolton Branch.

STATE STREET
Mechanical interlocking installed 1903

Little is known about this interlocking.

BURNSIDE
Tower listed with Illinois Central

PULLMAN JCT.
Tower listed with Belt Railway of Chicago

BELOW ABANDONED 1990's

SOUTH DEERING
Mechanical interlocking installed 1901
Closed 1942, remotely controlled from Main Line Bridge

Junction with a Belt Railway of Chicago industrial line.

MAIN LINE BRIDGE
Mechanical interlocking installed 1911
Electric interlocking installed 1942
Bridge replaced 1968

Drawbridge over Calumet River. After 1965, bridge also was used by Pennsylvania Railroad's Calumet Western line, after its own bridge a short distance east was damaged beyond repair. Bridge still stands, unused. South of here, paralleling Torrence Ave. was shifted east to the abandoned railroad right of way, to allow for expansion at the Ford auto plant.

BURNHAM
Tower listed with Pennsylvania Railroad

STATE LINE
Mechanical interlocking installed 1897
Interlocking rebuilt 1910
Closed August 5, 2000, demolished October 30, 2000

Crossing of Chicago & Western Indiana main line and paralleling Norfolk Southern (former Nickel Plate) main line, with CSX (former Baltimore & Ohio Chicago Terminal) and an Indiana Harbor Belt spur. In addition the South Shore Line, which also paralleled the first two named railroads, crossed the Indiana Harbor Belt spur. Here, the Chicago & Western Indiana ended, with the straight route continuing southeast as the Erie Railroad. Diverging from this route, and crossing the Nickel Plate route to parallel on the west side, was the Monon Route. Also, connecting tracks existed from the Chicago & Western Indiana to the Baltimore & Ohio, for former Wabash trains over the route from Chicago to Montpelier Ohio. That route began at Clarke Jct., using trackage rights over the Baltimore & Ohio from State Line to Clarke Jct. The Chicago & Western Indiana and the Erie and Monon routes have been abandoned.

Click for Google Map of Northwest Lake County