CHICAGO'S INTERLOCKINGS

INDIANA HARBOR BELT

Main Line

Double track line.


Click for Google Map of Northwest Lake County

GIBSON
Tower listed with Indiana Harbor Belt (Harbor Line)

HOHMAN AVENUE
New tower constructed/electric interlocking installed 1900, replacing earlier tower
Closed March 29, 2001, demolished May 10, 2011

Crossing with Norfolk Southern former Nickel Plate main line. Until 1980, the Erie Railroad paralleled the Nickel Plate to the west, and until 1990, the Monon Route paralleled further west.

Click for Google Maps of Chicago Area

CALUMET PARK
Tower listed with Pennsylvania Railroad

DOLTON
Tower listed with Pennsylvania Railroad

NORTH HARVEY
Mechanical interlocking installed 1898

Crossing with Baltimore & Ohio Chicago Heights Subdivision. Formerly, a connecting track existed at the southwest quadrant, allowing Milwaukee Road's Terre Haute Division freight trains to switch to and from the Indiana Harbor Belt.

BLUE ISLAND
Tower listed with Grand Trunk Western

CHICAGO RIDGE
Mechanical interlocking installed 1890
Closed January 10, 1994

Crossing with Metra Southwest (former Wabash).

ARGO JCT.
Electric interlocking installed
Closed February 17, 1993

Junction with Stock Yards Line, and east end of Argo yard.

C&A TOWER (Argo)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1889
Interlocking rebuilt 1912
Closed January 28, 1993

Crossing with CN former Alton, and west end of Argo yard. Tower later renamed GM&O Tower.

MCCOOK
Mechanical interlocking installed 1894
Closed around 1970's, remotely controlled from GM&O Tower

Crossing with BNSF former Santa Fe.

BELLWOOD
Tower listed with Chicago Great Western