ILLINOIS'S INTERLOCKINGS

CHICAGO & ALTON/GULF MOBILE & OHIO

Eastern Division/Sub-Division No. 2

Now owned by Union Pacific.

Was mostly a double track line with single direction ABS, until installation of single track CTC, described below, enabling the elimination of many towers.


Click for Google Map of Bloomington

BLOOMINGTON
Non interlocked crossing

Crossing with Norfolk Southern former Nickel Plate Peoria Division, and former crossing with New York Central Peoria & Eastern line, abandoned 1984.

ATLANTA
Mechanical interlocking installed 1902
Closed 1964, replaced with CTC installation in Bloomington

Former crossing with Pennsylvania Railroad Peoria Branch, not included in Conrail 1976.

ATHOL
Mechanical interlocking installed 1900
Closed 1962, replaced with CTC installation in Bloomington

Crossing with CN former Illinois Central Peoria Subdivision, former crossing with electric Illinois Terminal line, abandoned 1962.

Click for Google Map of Lincoln

LINCOLN
Mechanical interlocking installed 1902
Closed 1962, replaced with CTC installation in Bloomington

Former crossing with Illinois Central Havana District, abandoned 1980's.

SHERMAN
Mechanical interlocking installed 1898
Closed 1963, replaced with CTC installation in Bloomington

Former junction, earlier a crossing, with Chicago & Alton P&N Branch which was abandoned 1979.

RIDGELY
Mechanical interlocking installed 1900
Closed 2010, demolished 2011

Crossing with Illinois & Midland Railroad.

Click for Google Map of Springfield

JA TOWER (Springfield)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1896
Original interlocking out of service by 1930's
New tower constructed/electric interlocking installed 1948
Replaced with automatic interlocking 1960's

Former crossing with Baltimore & Ohio Springfield Subdivision, abandoned 1979, and Chicago Peoria & St. Louis Railroad, abandoned early 1940's.

ILES
Tower listed with Wabash

AUBURN
Mechanical interlocking installed 1918
Closed by 1950's

Former crossing with Chicago & Illinois Midland Railway, abandoned 1957.

GIRARD
Tower listed with Burlington Route

GREEN RIDGE
Tower listed with Chicago & North Western

CARLINVILLE
Mechanical interlocking installed 1900
Closed by 1950's

Former junction with Chicago & Alton Barnett Branch and East Hardin Branch.

RINAKER
Mechanical interlocking installed 1899
Closed 1933, replaced with CTC installation at Plainview tower

North end of single track segment.

PLAINVIEW
Mechanical interlocking installed 1904
Closed 1946, replaced with CTC installation at Brighton tower

South end of single track segment.

BRIGHTON
Mechanical interlocking installed 1900
Closed around 1955, replaced with CTC installation at Wann tower

Former crossing with Burlington Route Beardstown & St. Louis Subdivision, abandoned 1980. From 1946 to around 1955, tower operator also controlled CTC from Rinaker to Plainview.

GODFREY
Mechanical interlocking installed 1901
Closed around 1955, remotely controlled from Wann

Junction with Kansas City Southern former Chicago & Alton Carrollton line.

HENRY STREET (Alton)
Tower listed with Burlington Route

WANN
Tower listed with Joint Line


EARLY CTC INSTALLATIONS

Plainview-Rinaker
Installed 1933, control machine at Plainview tower
Relocated 1947, control machine at Brighton tower

In 1947, control moved to Brighton tower, around 1955 control moved to Wann tower.

Godfrey-Wann
Installed 1940, control machine at Wann tower
Replaced 1965 with new control machine in dispatcher's office

Installed in conjunction with new interlocking at Wann. Not a true CTC installation, but a "controlled block system" with automatic signals over a single track segment. Requiring the coordination between tower operators at each end of the segment.

Wann-Bloomington-Pequot
Installed 1961, control machine in dispatcher's office at Bloomington passenger station
Control machine expanded 1966
Completed 1968