ILLINOIS'S INTERLOCKINGS

CHICAGO & ALTON/GULF MOBILE & OHIO

NEW YORK CENTRAL

Joint Line

Now owned by Union Pacific/Gateway Western/Kansas City Southern.

Double track line, paired track involving former Chicago & Alton main line as southbound track, and New York Central Old Line as northbound track. In 1904 New York Central began using a new cutoff route, joining the paired track at Lenox.


WANN
Mechanical interlocking installed 1902
Electric interlocking installed 1940 after tower burned
Closed August 4, 1996

Junction of Union Pacific former Chicago & Alton main line, with New York Central Old Line. North end of paired track. From 1940 to 1963, tower operator also controlled Alton CTC from Godfrey to Wann. And from around 1955 to 1963, tower operator also controlled CTC from Rinaker to Plainview.

WOOD RIVER
Mechanical interlocking installed 1902
Closed 1990

Interlocking actually operated by Illinois Terminal. Crossing of paired track with Illinois Terminal.

LENOX
Electric interlocking installed 1904
Closed October 29, 2018

Junction of paired track with New York Central Illinois Division cutoff route, and with Alton & Southern. Wabash Brooklyn District also crosses Alton & Southern. Chicago & Eastern Illinois had trackage rights via New York Central, now Chicago & Eastern Illinois successor Union Pacific owns cutoff route.

WR TOWER (Granite City)
Tower listed with Terminal Railroad Association

BRIDGE JCT.
Non interlocked junction

Junction and connection of paired track, Wabash Brooklyn District, Nickel Plate Cloverleaf District, and Illinois Terminal with Terminal Railroad Association Eads Subdivision. Illinois Central and Chicago & North Western had trackage rights over the Illinois Terminal line.

Q TOWER (East St. Louis)
Tower listed with Terminal Railroad Association