ILLINOIS'S INTERLOCKINGS

CHICAGO & NORTH WESTERN

St. Louis Subdivision

Now owned by Union Pacific.

Staunton Subdivision abandoned 1961 (Litchfield-Mt. Olive)/1970 (Mt. Olive-DeCamp).

Segments now owned by Union Pacific, some segments abandoned.


TOWER BX (Barr) (Athens)
Tower listed with Chicago & North Western (Peoria Subdivision)

GREEN RIDGE
Mechanical interlocking installed 1905

Possible former crossing with Chicago & Alton main line, with the Chicago & North Western line eventually passing over on a bridge. With all trackage now Union Pacific, a junction now exists, with former Chicago & North Western traffic now using former Chicago & Alton trackage through Springfield.

SCHOPER
Mechanical interlocking installed 1919

Interlocking actually operated by Chicago & Alton. Former crossing with Chicago & Alton Barnett Branch.

ABOVE ABANDONED 1998

TOWER ON (Gillespie)
Electric interlocking installed 1904
Replaced with automatic interlocking 1948

Former crossing with New York Central Old Line, abandoned 1965.

BENLD
Mechanical interlocking installed 1915

Interlocking actually operated by Illinois Terminal. Former crossing with electric Illinois Terminal line, abandoned 1969.

DE CAMP
Tower listed with Wabash

WORDEN
Automatic interlocking installed 1950

Interlocking actually operated by Illinois Terminal. Former crossing with electric Illinois Terminal line, abandoned 1969.

LE CLAIRE (Edwardsville)
Tower listed with Nickel Plate

GLEN (Glen Carbon)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1891

Former crossing of Illinois Central Springfield District, abandoned 1982, with Nickel Plate Cloverleaf District, abandoned 2001. And former junction with Illinois Central Springfield District, which used trackage rights south via Chicago & North Western.

A&S TOWER (Madison)
Tower listed with Nickel Plate

BELOW ABANDONED 1961

WINSTON (Litchfield)
Tower listed with Illinois Central

MOUNT OLIVE
Electric interlocking installed 1903

Former crossing of Staunton Subdivision with Illinois Central Springfield District.

ABOVE ABANDONED 1961
BELOW ABANDONED 1970

STAUNTON
Mechanical interlocking installed 1926

Little is known about this interlocking.