ILLINOIS'S INTERLOCKINGS

ILLINOIS CENTRAL

Gilman District

Now owned by CN.


GILMAN
Tower listed with main line

GIBSON CITY
Mechanical interlocking installed 1901
Closed 1993

Former crossing with Wabash Chicago-Decatur line and Nickel Plate Peoria Division, now a junction involving those two lines now part of Norfolk Southern's Bloomington District.

Click for Google Map of Gibson City

LAURETTE
Mechanical interlocking installed 1898
Replaced with trainman operated interlocking 1948

Former junction with Illinois Central Rantoul District, abandoned around early 1980's.

FARMER CITY
Mechanical interlocking installed 1905
Replaced with automatic interlocking late 1970's

Former crossing with New York Central Peoria & Eastern line, abandoned 1999.

CLINTON
Non interlocked crossing

Crossing with former Illinois Central Clinton District.

KENNEY
Tower listed with Pennsylvania Railroad

MT. PULASKI
Mechanical interlocking installed 1901
Closed early 1970's, remotely controlled by dispatcher

Crossing with CN former Illinois Central Peoria Subdivision.

STARNE
Mechanical interlocking installed 1901
Closed early 1970's, remotely controlled by NS dispatcher

Crossing with Wabash Springfield District, former crossing with electric Illinois Terminal line, abandoned 1959.

Click for Google Map of Springfield

AVENUE (Springfield)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1911

Junction with spur line serving Springfield Union Station, and with Chicago & Illinois Midland, north end of segment where that line has trackage rights. Former crossing with electric Illinois Terminal line, abandoned 1959.

PAWNEE JCT. (CIMIC)
Tower listed with Chicago & Illinois Midland


EARLY CTC INSTALLATIONS

Clinton-Kenney
Installed 1929, control machine at Kenney tower

Avenue-Divernon
Installed 1954, control machine at Avenue tower