ILLINOIS'S INTERLOCKINGS

ILLINOIS CENTRAL

Chicago District

Now owned by CN.

Was originally a multiple track line with single direction ABS. In 1922 and 1923, three tracks were established between Monee and Otto, with a bidirectional center track, and with crossovers controlled from several interlocking towers. In 1924, a bidirectional automatic block signal system was installed over the double track segment between Otto and Gilman, with crossovers controlled from several interlocking towers. In 1930 and 1951, CTC installations described below enabled elimination of several towers between Otto and Gilman. And in 1964 and 1965, a CTC installation described below enabled elimination of some towers and elimination of the third track between Monee and Indian Oaks. Single track CTC was installed around 1990, enabling the elimination of many towers.


Click for Google Map of Will County/Southeast

MONEE
Electric interlocking installed 1923
Closed 1965, replaced with CTC installation in Champaign

Interlocking controlled transition between four tracks to the north, and three tracks to the south. The four track segment had two passenger tracks to the west and two freight tracks to the east.

PEOTONE
Electric interlocking installed 1922
Closed around 1930's

MANTENO
Electric interlocking installed 1922
Closed 1964, replaced with CTC installation in Champaign

TUCKER (Indian Oaks)
Electric interlocking installed 1922
Closed around 1930's

KANKAKEE JCT.
Electric interlocking installed 1903
Interlocking rebuilt 1945
Closed by 1990's, remotely controlled by CTC dispatcher

Crossing with New York Central Kankakee Branch, and junction with New York Central Indiana Division, now Kankakee Beaverville & Southern.

Click for Google Map of Kankakee

KANKAKEE RIVER
Mechanical interlocking installed 1893
Closed 1920

Gauntlet bridge, bridge replaced in 1920 with new larger bridge.

OTTO
Mechanical interlocking installed 1900
Closed 1951, replaced with CTC installation at Gilman station

Junction with Illinois Central Bloomington District.

CHEBANSE
Electric interlocking installed 1923
Closed 1930, replaced with CTC installation at Ashkum tower

CLIFTON
Electric interlocking installed 1924
Closed 1930, replaced with CTC installation at Ashkum tower

ASHKUM
Electric interlocking installed 1924
Closed 1951, replaced with CTC installation at Gilman station

NORTH GILMAN
Electric interlocking installed 1924
Closed 1930's

GILMAN
Electric interlocking installed 1903
Closed 1947, remotely controlled from station

Junction with Gilman Line, and crossing with Toledo Peoria & Western.

PAXTON
Mechanical interlocking installed 1896
Closed 1924

Former crossing with Nickel Plate Peoria Division, eliminated 1924 with lowering of Illinois Central line through that town.

RANTOUL
Mechanical interlocking installed 1900
Closed by 1930's

Junction with Illinois Central Rantoul District.

LEVERETT JCT.
Remote interlocking installed 1942, controlled from yard office

North end of Champaign Yard.

Click for Google Map of Champaign

CHAMPAIGN
Electric interlocking installed 1905
Closed April 28, 1993, remotely controlled by CTC dispatcher

South end of Champaign Yard, former crossing with New York Central Peoria & Eastern line, abandoned 1999, and Wabash Champaign Branch, abandoned 1981.


EARLY CTC INSTALLATIONS

Otto-Ashkum
Installed 1930, control machine at Ashkum tower
Replaced 1951 with new control machine in Gilman

Otto-Gilman
Installed 1951, control machine at Gilman station

Kankakee-Manteno-Stuenkel
Installed 1964, control machine in dispatcher's office in Champaign
Completed 1965

Also included Homewood interlocking, and possibly Leverett Jct. interlocking.

Between 1968 and 1970, Illinois Central consolidated its dispatching systemwide to one office in Chicago. Illinois Central was the second major US railroad to achieve such consolidation, the first being St. Louis San Francisco in 1965.