INDIANA'S INTERLOCKINGS

BALTIMORE & OHIO

Chicago Division

Now owned by CSX.

Was a double track line with single direction ABS. CTC was installed 1963-1966, described below, enabling the elimination of many towers.


PINE JCT.
Tower listed with New York Central

Click for Google Map of Northeast Lake County

MILLER
Mechanical interlocking installed before 1906

Prior to 1908, the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railway used a more southerly route through what became Gary. That railroad crossed the Baltimore & Ohio near Lake St. and Miller Ave., in Miller. Lake Shore & Michigan Southern became part of New York Central, now Norfolk Southern.

WILLOW CREEK
Tower listed with New York Central

MCCOOL
Tower listed with Elgin Joliet & Eastern

Click for Google Map of North Porter County

BABCOCK
Interlocking installed 1911

This interlocking probably did not last long, and its purpose is unknown. A Babcock station has been identified in Porter County at County Road 200W, one mile east of State Highway 149.

ALIDA
Mechanical interlocking installed 1901
Replaced with automatic interlocking 1959

Former crossing with Monon Michigan City Branch, abandoned 1980.

WELLSBORO
Mechanical interlocking installed before 1906
Closed 1965, replaced with CTC installation in Akron

Crossing with CN former Grand Trunk Western main line, and former crossing with Pere Marquette La Crosse Subdivision.

WALKERTON
Mechanical interlocking installed before 1906
Closed 1965, replaced with CTC installation in Akron

Crossing with Elkhart & Western Railroad (former Nickel Plate Indianapolis Division), and former crossing with New York Central Kankakee Branch, abandoned 1982.

LA PAZ JCT.
Tower listed with Pennsylvania Railroad

MILFORD JCT.
Tower listed with New York Central

AVILLA
Tower listed with Pennsylvania Railroad

AUBURN
Mechanical interlocking installed around 1910
Closed 1963, replaced with CTC installation in Akron

Former crossing with Pennsylvania Railroad Butler Branch, abandoned 1954, and New York Central Fort Wayne Branch, not included in Conrail 1976.

HK TOWER (St. Joe)
Mechanical interlocking installed before 1906
Closed 1963, replaced with CTC installation in Akron

Crossing with Wabash main line.


EARLY CTC INSTALLATIONS

Pine Jct.-Garrett-Sherwood
Installed 1963, control machine in dispatcher's office in Akron
Completed 1966