INDIANA'S INTERLOCKINGS

NEW YORK CENTRAL

Western Division

Now owned by Norfolk Southern.

Was a multiple track line with single direction ABS, with segments receiving CTC mostly in 1960's.


Click for Google Map of Northwest Lake County

MS/WHITING
Electric interlocking installed 1905
New tower constructed 1906, replacing earlier tower
Closed late 1960's, remotely controlled by dispatcher

Former crossing with Baltimore & Ohio Whiting branch. After 1968 Penn Central merger, a connection was constructed, allowing former New York Central trains to join the former Pennsylvania Railroad line, and enabling abandonment of the New York Central line to the west. The dispatcher then assumed control of the interlocking. The former Baltimore & Ohio (now CSX) passenger line parallels to the north, the Whiting branch extended south to connect with the Baltimore & Ohio Chicago Terminal freight line.

HC/INDIANA HARBOR
Electric interlocking installed 1910
Closed Dec. 7, 2010

Bridge over Indiana Harbor Canal. The former Baltimore & Ohio passenger line paralleled to the north and previously used a separate bridge, but around 1980 the trackage was reconfigured to enable what are now CSX trains to use this bridge.

B&O CROSSING
Electric interlocking installed 1909
Closed late 1960's, remotely controlled from HC

Crossing with Indiana Harbor Belt. Previously, the former Baltimore & Ohio passenger line also crossed here. The Baltimore & Ohio (now CSX) line paralleled this line on the north side west of here, and on the south side east of here.

NE/PINE JCT.
Electric interlocking installed 1909
Closed 1980's

Junction between Baltimore & Ohio former passenger line, and the Baltimore & Ohio Chicago Terminal freight line. Previously, the passenger line west of here had been used by Chesapeake & Ohio, earlier Pere Marquette, freight and passenger trains. And the Pere Marquette trains used trackage rights over New York Central east of here to Porter. The New York Central line paralleled to the north, and connecting track had existed here, allowing the Pere Marquette trains to switch railroads. Prior to 1908, New York Central predecessor Lake Shore & Michigan Southern had used a more southerly route. Between Gary and Miller, Lake Shore & Michigan Southern paralleled north of the South Shore Line and US Highway 12, crossing the Baltimore & Ohio line at Miller. Was also east end of a four track segment, with freight tracks to the outside. Freight tracks were removed around 1964.

Click for Google Map of North Porter County

PO/PORTER
Mechanical interlocking installed 1893
Electric interlocking installed 1930
Closed 1985, remotely controlled by CTC dispatcher

Originally a crossing with New York Central subsidiary Michigan Central, and a junction with Pere Marquette (now CSX) with trackage rights over New York Central as far west as Pine Jct. In 1957, all Michigan Central passenger trains were shifted to the New York Central route into Chicago.

OTIS
Mechanical interlocking installed 1902
Replaced with automatic interlocking 1959

Former crossing with Monon Michigan City Branch, abandoned 1980.

FS/DURHAM
Non interlocked switches

West end of a four track segment, with freight tracks to the outside. Freight tracks removed around 1962, replaced with CTC installation between East Pinola and La Porte.

JD/LA PORTE
Mechanical interlocking installed before 1906
Closed 1992, remotely controlled by CTC dispatcher

Former crossing with Pere Marquette La Crosse Subdivision, abandoned 1988. Was also east end of a four track segment, with freight tracks to the outside. Freight tracks removed around 1962, replaced with CTC installation between East Pinola and La Porte, controlled from JD.

Click for Google Map of La Porte

WR/LA PORTE
Mechanical interlocking installed before 1906
Closed around 1962, remotely controlled from JD

Crossing with Chicago South Shore & South Bend Railroad (former Nickel Plate Indianapolis Division).

LYDICK
Mechanical interlocking installed before 1906
Closed around 1910

Former crossing with Michigan Central St. Joseph Division.

SOUTH BEND
Mechanical interlocking installed before 1906
Closed 1935, remotely controlled from HF

Former crossing with South Bend Branch, abandoned 1980. Replaced in 1935 upon completion of track elevation project.

Click for Google Map of South Bend

SOUTH BEND
Mechanical interlocking installed before 1906
Closed 1930

Former crossing with Grand Trunk Western main line, prior to track elevation and construction of new Union Station, shared by both railroads. Replaced by HF Tower.

HF/SOUTH BEND
Electric interlocking installed 1930
Closed 1996, remotely controlled by CTC dispatcher

New interlocking installed in conjunction with track elevation and construction of new Union Station. Tower controlled all switches and junctions on elevated route. Control of Michigan Central crossing delayed until 1935 completion of track elevation project.

WG/ELKHART
Closed 1958, remotely controlled from yard office

West end of Elkhart Yard.

B/ELKHART
Closed 1958, remotely controlled from yard office

East end of Elkhart Yard.