SUBURBAN TRANSIT ROUTES

ROUTES 200-206

EVANSTON

Bus Predecessor: Evanston Bus Co.

Early Streetcar History

Early Streetcar Map

The Evanston Bus Co. ceased operations 4/23/73, due to a strike. No buses operated in Evanston until 9/10/73 when the city of Evanston began subsidizing service operated by CTA.

CTA Evanston Routes

CTA continued to operate most bus service in Evanston over the next few decades. But CTA now has a less significant presence in Evanston, with discontinuance of some routes and assumption of some route segments by extensions of certain Pace routes.


EVANSTON BUS CO.

The Evanston Railway Co. had operated the one streetcar line in Evanston. An older Evanston Bus Co., affiliated with Evanston Railway Co., began operating bus service in 1924. In 1930 the original Evanston Bus Co. merged into the Evanston & Niles Center Bus Co. Niles Center was the suburb immediately west of Evanston, which in 1940 was renamed Skokie. In 1937, the Evanston & Niles Center Bus Co. merged with the Evanston Railway Co. to become the new Evanston Bus Co.

The Evanston Bus Co. was operating 13 routes in 1973, prior to ceasing operations. Most replacement service was initially operated by CTA, while some replacement service in neighboring suburbs was established by Nortran, now Pace. The following descriptions of Evanston Bus Co. routes include present CTA and Pace routes which can be traced back to these routes.


1 - Sherman Avenue - traces its roots to the only streetcar route in Evanston, operating between Howard St. CTA terminal and Crawford/Central. Streetcar service introduced by Chicago North Shore Street Railway Co. in 1893 from Chicago, extending as far north as Emerson. Service north of Emerson introduced in 1897 by Evanston Electric Railway. Both companies merged into Chicago Consolidated Traction Co. in 1899, sold to County Traction Co. in 1910, sold to Evanston Railway Co. in 1913. Converted to buses 11/9/35. Portions of CTA route #201 and Pace route #213 most closely resemble this route.

2 - Ridge Avenue - operated between Howard St. CTA terminal and downtown Evanston (Davis/Sherman). Introduced 4/26 by original Evanston Bus Co. The southern portion of CTA route #203 would operate over this route until 6/22/2003, when it would be replaced with the southern portion of CTA route #201.

3 - Main-Grant - operated between South Blvd. and Grant/Prospect. Introduced on Main on 1/28/24 by original Evanston Bus Co. as its route #1, extended 5/28 onto Grant. A portion of this route operated via Greenwood, where service was introduced 1/28/24 by original Evanston Bus Co. as its route #2. And another portion of this route operated via Davis, where service was introduced 1/28/24 by original Evanston Bus Co. as its route #3. The northern portion would be covered by CTA route #203 until 6/22/2003, when it would be replaced with the northern portion of CTA route #205. And the segment serving South Blvd. would be covered by CTA route #202, until discontinued 6/22/2003. But no service was ever operated by CTA over most of the southern portion of this route.

4 - Emerson - operated in a loop northwest of downtown Evanston. Introduced 1/28/24 by original Evanston Bus Co. as its route #4. There is little resemblance to any CTA bus route, except CTA would serve Emerson Ave., first with route #202, and effective 6/22/2003 with extension of route #93 from Chicago.

5 - Skokie - rush hour bus between Central St./Green Bay Rd. and Hamlin/Foster in Skokie, operating primarily via McCormick Blvd. Introduced in 1942. No similar route presently exists.

6 - Fowler-Main - operated between Chicago/Main and Church/Fowler. Introduced during 1950's or 1960's. This route would basically be covered by CTA route #202 until 6/22/2003, when replaced with route #200.

7 - Dodge-Howard - operated between Howard St. CTA terminal and downtown Evanston (Davis/Sherman). Introduced 3/8/47. CTA route #204 would most closely resemble this route until 6/22/2003, when replaced with extension of route #93 from Chicago.

8 - Evanston-Old Orchard - operated between downtown Evanston (Davis/Sherman) and Old Orchard Shopping Center in Skokie, using Church St. in Evanston and Golf Rd. in Skokie. Service on Church was originally created in 1920's by Niles Center Transit Co., which later became part of Evanston Bus Co. Route was #6. Service on Golf Rd. introduced in 1946 by American Coach Co., operating between Davis St. station and Glenview Rd. and Waukegan Rd. New route #8 to newly opened Old Orchard shopping center introduced 8/22/56. New route largely duplicated original route #6, which was discontinued 5/10/57. Effective 3/18/74 after the Glenview Bus Co. ceased operations, United Motor Coach Co. introduced "Emergency Routes" #2 and #3, reintroducing service over this segment, and operating beyond Old Orchard to areas previously served by the Glenview Bus Co. Emergency Route #2 evolved into Pace route #212, while part of Emergency Route #3 eventually became Pace route #220. Those Pace routes would be discontinued effective 3/5/2005 as part of a major restructuring of north suburban Pace routes. Route #212 would then be redundant to route #208 and recently expanded CTA route #205.

9 - Evanston-Irving Park-Cicero - operated via various streets between downtown Evanston (Davis/Sherman) and the shopping area of Irving Park/Cicero/Milwaukee on Chicago's northwest side. Acquired 1959 from American Coach Co., original route had been introduced in 1941 from Harrison St. and Crawford Ave. to Irving Park/Cicero/Milwaukee via Crawford Ave., Oakton St., Lincoln Ave., and Cicero Ave. Pace route #216 was introduced 11/73 by United Motor Coach Co., replacing portions of this route, discontinued 8/25/86. No similar route presently exists.

10 - Old Orchard (via Crawford Ave.) - operated between Howard St. CTA terminal and Old Orchard Shopping Center in Skokie. Acquired 1959 from American Coach Co., service on Crawford Ave. north of Oakton St. was part of a route introduced in 1941, originally operating 3 blocks north of Golf Rd. to Harrison St. Pace route #215 was introduced 11/73 by United Motor Coach Co., exactly following this route.

11 - Old Orchard (via Oakton and Niles Center Rd.) - operated between Howard St. CTA terminal and Old Orchard Shopping Center in Skokie. Acquired 1959 from American Coach Co. Route was actually very similar to CTA route #97, and was perhaps considered redundant.

12 - Irving Park and Cicero to Old Orchard/Edens Plaza - operated between those points primarily via Cicero Ave./Skokie Blvd. Acquired 1959 from American Coach Co., their original route #1 had been introduced in 1941 from Harrison St. and Gross Point Rd. to Irving Park/Cicero/Milwaukee via Harrison St., Crawford Ave., Oakton St., Lincoln Ave., and Cicero Ave. Pace route #216 was introduced 11/73 by United Motor Coach Co., replacing portions of this route, discontinued 8/25/86. Present route most closely resembling this route is CTA route #54A, extended north to Old Orchard effective 6/11/79.

13 - Evanston-Glencoe - operated between those towns via Green Bay Rd. Introduced around 1959. Service is now provided by Pace route #213, introduced in 1974.

Evanston Bus Co. Map 1972


ADDITIONAL BUS COMPANIES

Niles Center Bus Co.

American Coach Co.


Car Houses/Bus Garages