INDIANA'S INTERLOCKINGS

PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD

Fort Wayne Division

Now owned by Chicago Fort Wayne & Eastern.

Was a double track line with single direction ABS, single tracked in 1985.


TOLLESTON
Tower listed with New York Central

Click for Google Map of Northeast Lake County

LIVERPOOL
Mechanical interlocking installed before 1906
New tower constructed 1907, replacing earlier tower
Replaced with automatic interlocking April 22, 1959

Former crossing with New York Central Joliet Branch, abandoned 1976.

BART
Tower listed with Elgin Joliet & Eastern

WHEELER
Interlocking installed 1911
Closed around 1914 or 1915

Little is known about this short lived interlocking.

Click for Google Map of South Porter County

FORT WAYNE CROSSING (Valparaiso)
Tower listed with Grand Trunk Western

MONTDALE
Interlocking installed 1911
Closed around 1912

This short lived interlocking was immediately west of Montdale Dr. (325E), east of Valparaiso.

WANATAH
Mechanical interlocking installed 1911

Former crossing with Monon Route Michigan City Branch, abandoned 1980.

HANNA
Mechanical interlocking installed before 1906
Replaced with automatic interlocking 1956

Crossing with Pere Marquette La Crosse Subdivision.

HAMLET
Mechanical interlocking installed before 1906
Closed 1985

Former crossing with New York Central Kankakee Branch, abandoned 1982.

OM TOWER (Plymouth)
Closed 1932

Little is known about this interlocking, other than it was west of a place identified as Morrison, which could not be located.

PLYMOUTH
Mechanical interlocking installed 1908
Replaced with automatic interlocking 1985

Crossing with Nickel Plate Indianapolis Division, and former crossing with Pennsylvania Railroad South Bend Branch, abandoned 1973.

BOURBON

Little is known about this interlocking, other than there was a siding involved.

WARSAW
Mechanical interlocking installed before 1906
Replaced with automatic interlocking 1980's

Crossing with New York Central Marion District.

BERLIN
Remote interlocking installed 1930, controlled from Vandale

Controlled eastward and westward passing sidings.

VANDALE (Columbia City)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1891
Electric interlocking installed 1941
Closed 1972

Former crossing with Pennsylvania Railroad Butler Branch, abandoned 1976.

ARCOLA

Little is known about this interlocking.

JUNCTION (Fort Wayne)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1908
Closed 1986

Former junction with Pennsylvania Railroad Grand Rapids Division, abandoned 1982, and former crossing with Nickel Plate New Castle District and with New York Central Fort Wayne Branch.

Click for Google Map of Fort Wayne

WABASH (Fort Wayne)
Electric interlocking installed 1926
Closed 1989

Crossing with Wabash main line.

ADAMS (Fort Wayne)
Closed 1984

Former junction with Pennsylvania Railroad Fort Wayne Branch from Richmond IN, abandoned 1976.