CHICAGO'S INTERLOCKINGS

PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD

Chicago Division

Double track line. Largely abandoned in 1979, with traffic shifted to the former New York Central to the north.


Click for Google Map of Northwest Lake County

WHITING
Mechanical interlocking installed before 1906
New tower constructed 1906, replacing earlier tower
Closed 1972

Former crossing with Baltimore & Ohio Whiting Subdivision.

INDIANA HARBOR CANAL
Electric interlocking installed 1911
Closed 1980

Bridge over Indiana Harbor Canal.

INDIANA HARBOR
Mechanical interlocking installed before 1906
Closed 1980

Former crossing with Indiana Harbor Belt Indiana Harbor Line.

CLARKE JCT.
Mechanical interlocking installed before 1906
New tower constructed 1906, replacing earlier tower
Replaced with automatic interlocking around 1980's

Former crossing of Pennsylvania Railroad main line with Baltimore & Ohio Chicago Terminal. In addition, this was the beginning of the Wabash Gary District, which immediately east of here diverged south from the Baltimore & Ohio line, and paralleled the Pennsylvania Railroad southeast as far as Tolleston.

CLARKE
Interlocking installed 1914
Closed 1944, remotely controlled from Clarke Jct.

Siding switch and crossover.

TOLLESTON
Tower listed with New York Central

GARY
Interlocking installed 1911
Closed around 1912

Little is known about this short lived interlocking.

EAST GARY
Interlocking installed 1911
Closed 1912

Little is known about this short lived interlocking.