ILLINOIS'S INTERLOCKINGS

ILLINOIS CENTRAL

Centralia District

Now owned by CN.

Was a double track line with single direction ABS, until installation of single track CTC around 1990.


ASHLEY
Mechanical interlocking installed 1898
Replaced with automatic interlocking 1959

Crossing with Evansville Western Railway (former Louisville & Nashville).

TAMAROA
Mechanical interlocking installed 1897
Replaced with automatic interlocking 1956

Crossing with Missouri Pacific Pinckneyville Subdivision.

CARBONDALE
Mechanical interlocking installed 1895
Closed around 1912

Little is known about this interlocking, other than that Illinois Central had a junction.

CAIRO JCT.
Electric interlocking installed 1902

Connection with Gulf Mobile & Ohio, which had trackage rights via Illinois Central across Ohio River bridge.