ILLINOIS'S INTERLOCKINGS

ROCK ISLAND LINE

Subdivision 2

Now owned by CSX and Iowa Interstate.

Was a double track line with single direction ABS, with segments receiving CTC as described below, until downgrading around 1980's.


OTTAWA
Mechanical interlocking installed 1891
Replaced with automatic interlocking 1938

Crossing with Burlington Montgomery & Streator Subdivision, now Illinois Railway.

Click for Google Map of La Salle/Ottawa

PERU
Mechanical interlocking installed 1889
Interlocking rebuilt 1909
Replaced with automatic interlocking 1932

Crossing with Burlington Streator & Zearing Subdivision, now Illinois Railway.

BUREAU
Electric interlocking installed 1937
Closed around 1980's

Junction with Peoria line.

COLONA
Mechanical interlocking installed 1890
Closed 1943, replaced with CTC installation in Rock Island

Crossing with Burlington Barstow Subdivision.

Click for Google Map of Quad Cities


PEORIA (Walnut Street)
Electric interlocking installed 1915

Bridge over Illinois River, and connection with Toledo Peoria & Western.

Click for Google Map of Peoria


EARLY CTC INSTALLATIONS

Rockdale-Morris
Installed 1943, control machine at MC Tower

Spring Valley-Bureau
Installed 1943, control machine at Bureau

Atkinson-Silvis
Installed 1943, control machine in dispatcher's office in Rock Island