ILLINOIS'S INTERLOCKINGS

CHICAGO & NORTH WESTERN

Geneva Subdivision (Galena Division/Subdivision 2)

Now owned by Union Pacific.

Was a double track line with single direction ABS and automatic train control, until installation of double track CTC between 1948 and 1949 between Elburn and Nelson, described below, and in 2000's between Nelson and Clinton. CTC enabled the elimination of many towers.

Between Bluffs and East Clinton, the line followed a more circuitous route further north, passing through Fulton. In 1909, the present more direct line opened, and the original route was downgraded and mostly abandoned in 1939.

Also in 1909, the Lee County cutoff opened between Nachusa and Nelson, bypassing Dixon. That line was apparently eliminated in the 1950's.


DE KALB JCT.
Mechanical interlocking installed 1905
Closed 1932

Not on main line, but northeast of De Kalb interlocking along Troy Grove Subdivision. Crossing of that line with Milwaukee Road Illinois Iowa & Minnesota line, which south of interlocking crossed over main line on a bridge. Milwaukee Road line abandoned south of interlocking in 1947.

DE KALB
Electric interlocking installed 1901
Closed 1930's

Junction and former crossing with Troy Grove Subdivision.

ROCHELLE
Mechanical interlocking installed 1897
Replaced with automatic interlocking 1965

Crossing with Burlington C&I main line.

NACHUSA
Mechanical interlocking installed 1909

Junction at east end of Lee County cutoff.

NELSON
Electric interlocking installed 1903
Closed around 1970's

Junction at west end of Lee County cutoff.

TOWER NJ (West Nelson)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1902
Closed 1930, remotely controlled from Nelson

Junction with Peoria Subdivision.

STERLING
Mechanical interlocking installed 1900
Closed by 1950's, remotely controlled from station

Junction with Burlington Shabbona & Sterling Subdivision, which had continued west via trackage rights over Chicago & North Western to Agnew, and abandoned 1984.

BLUFFS
Mechanical interlocking installed 1910
Closed around 1937

Junction of original line west via Fulton, and newer direct route west to East Clinton.

TOWER AD (Fulton)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1892
Closed 1939

Former crossing of original line via Fulton, with Milwaukee Road Albany Line.

FULTON NO. 1
Mechanical interlocking installed 1897
Closed 1939

Former crossing of original line via Fulton, with Burlington Lass & Ebner Subdivision. It is not clear why two separate interlockings were identified.

FULTON NO. 2
Mechanical interlocking installed 1898
Closed 1944

Former crossing of original line via Fulton, with Burlington Lass & Ebner Subdivision. It is not clear why two separate interlockings were identified. In its final years was a non interlocked crossing, with gates set against the Chicago & North Western.

SOUTH FULTON
Mechanical interlocking installed 1909
Closed 1941, remotely controlled from East Clinton
Replaced with automatic interlocking 1960's

Former crossing of newer direct line with Milwaukee Road Albany Line, abandoned 1970's.

EAST CLINTON
Mechanical interlocking installed 1898
Electric interlocking installed 1909

Junction of original line east via Fulton, and newer direct route east to Bluffs. And former crossing with Burlington Lass & Ebner Subdivision. Burlington also had trackage rights via Chicago & North Western west across Mississippi River through Clinton. Burlington line was abandoned 1960.

CLINTON
Electric interlocking installed 1909
Likely closed 1990's

Bridge over Mississippi River.


EARLY CTC INSTALLATIONS

West Chicago-Malta-Nelson
Installed 1948, control machine in dispatcher's office in Chicago
Completed 1949