CHICAGO'S INTERLOCKINGS

CHICAGO & NORTH WESTERN

Chicago Terminal (new)

Now owned by Union Pacific.

Multiple track line. Routes serving present passenger terminal at Madison Street, opened in 1911.


Click for Google Map of Chicago/Central

LAKE STREET
Electric interlocking installed 1911
STILL IN USE

Tower continues to control Metra Union Pacific trains, at the North Western Station.

CLINTON STREET
Electric interlocking installed 1911
Closed November, 2001

A second tower near the North Western Station formerly controlled the junction outside the station. The junction has been considerably simplified, with movements now controlled by Lake Street tower.

NOBLE STREET
Electric interlocking installed 1911
Closed around 1980's

Junction of trackage from old and new terminals, connecting with Geneva Subdivision.

CARPENTER STREET
Electric interlocking installed 1911
Closed late 1950's

Junction of trackage from old and new terminals, connecting with Kenosha Subdivision and Harvard Subdivision.

DIVISION STREET
Electric interlocking installed 1911
Closed 1960

Previous junction of Milwaukee Division, now the Kenosha Subdivision, and Wisconsin Division, now the Harvard Subdivision. Although trackage continued to parallel each other further north through the Clybourn station.

CY TOWER
Mechanical interlocking installed 1890
New tower constructed 1960
STILL IN USE

Older tower was strictly for the crossing with the Milwaukee Road Bloomingdale line, abandoned 2001. Newer tower continues to control junction near Clybourn Metra station, between two main lines.

Click for Google Map of Chicago/North