ILLINOIS'S INTERLOCKINGS

CHICAGO & ALTON/GULF MOBILE & OHIO

Eastern Division/Sub-Division No. 1

Now owned by Union Pacific.

Was mostly a double track line with single direction ABS, until installation of single track CTC, described below, enabling the elimination of many towers.


CENTREVILLE
Mechanical interlocking installed 1905
Closed around 1912

Not on main line but on Pequot Subdivision, crossing with Elgin Joliet & Eastern Illinois River Subdivision, abandoned 1935.

MAZONIA
Mechanical interlocking installed 1889
Closed 1960, replaced with CTC installation at Dwight tower

Junction of main line and Pequot Subdivision, and former crossing with Elgin Joliet & Eastern Illinois River Subdivision, abandoned 1935.

GARDNER
Mechanical interlocking installed 1890

Former crossing with New York Central Kankakee & Seneca Branch, abandoned 1933.

DWIGHT
Mechanical interlocking installed 1890
Tower destroyed by derailment 1931
Electric interlocking installed 1932
Closed 1968, replaced with CTC installation in Bloomington

Crossing with Norfolk Southern former New York Central Kankakee Branch. From 1959 to 1968, tower operator also controlled CTC from Mazonia to Pequot on Pequot Subdivision.

PONTIAC
Mechanical interlocking installed 1892
Electric interlocking installed 1916
Replaced with automatic interlocking 1960's

Former crossing with Illinois Central Pontiac District, abandoned 1970's, and with Wabash Streator Branch, abandoned 1978.

Click for Google Map of Pontiac

CHENOA
Mechanical interlocking installed 1902
Closed 1966, replaced with CTC installation in Bloomington

Crossing with Toledo Peoria & Western line.

NORMAL
Mechanical interlocking installed 1893
Closed late 1960's, remotely controlled by CTC dispatcher

Former crossing with Illinois Central Amboy District, abandoned 1984.

Click for Google Map of Bloomington/Normal


EARLY CTC INSTALLATIONS

Mazonia-Pequot
Installed 1959, control machine at Dwight tower
Replaced 1968 with new control machine in dispatcher's office

Wann-Bloomington-Pequot
Installed 1961, control machine in dispatcher's office at Bloomington passenger station
Control machine expanded 1966
Completed 1968