ILLINOIS'S INTERLOCKINGS

SANTA FE

Illinois Division/2nd District

Now owned by BNSF.

Double track line, which had mostly a manual block system until 1925, when replaced with an automatic train control system. Information is sketchy for several interlockings, which did not involve other railroads and were presumably less subject to state regulation. Reportedly 26 interlocking towers had existed between Pequot and Fort Madison for the manual block system, as well as for the convenience of occasional left hand running. The automatic train control system was bidirectional on both tracks. Around 1957, the installation of CTC enabled the elimination of most towers.


EDELSTEIN
Mechanical interlocking installed
Closed 1946, remotely controlled from Chillicothe

PRINCEVILLE
Mechanical interlocking installed 1892
Replaced with automatic interlocking 1932

Former crossing with Rock Island P&RI Branch, abandoned around 1960's.

MONICA
Mechanical interlocking installed 1898
Replaced with automatic interlocking 1958

Former crossing with Burlington Route Buda & Rushville Subdivision, abandoned 1981.

WILLIAMSFIELD
Mechanical interlocking installed 1910

APPLETON
Mechanical interlocking installed 1910

KNOX
Mechanical interlocking installed 1909

AT&SF TOWER (Galesburg)
Tower listed with Burlington Route

Click for Google Map of Galesburg

GI TOWER (Surrey)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1910

NEMO
Mechanical interlocking installed 1910

ORMONDE
Mechanical interlocking installed 1910

SMITHSHIRE
Interlocking installed

STRONGHURST
Interlocking installed

LOMAX
Interlocking installed

FORT MADISON
Electric interlocking installed 1904

Bridge over Mississippi River.


EARLY CTC INSTALLATIONS

Pequot-Chillicothe-Fort Madison
Installed around 1957, control machine in dispatcher's office at Shopton (Fort Madison)