ILLINOIS'S INTERLOCKINGS

SANTA FE

Illinois Division/1st District

Now owned by BNSF.

Double track line, which had mostly a manual block system until 1925, when replaced with an automatic train control system. Information is sketchy for several interlockings, which did not involve other railroads and were presumably less subject to state regulation. Reportedly 26 interlocking towers had existed between Pequot and Fort Madison for the manual block system, as well as for the convenience of occasional left hand running. The automatic train control system was bidirectional on both tracks. Around 1957, the installation of CTC enabled the elimination of most towers.


COAL CITY
Mechanical interlocking installed 1890

Former crossing with Elgin Joliet & Eastern Illinois River Subdivision, abandoned 1935.

MAZON
Mechanical interlocking installed 1898

Former crossing with New York Central Kankakee & Seneca Branch, abandoned 1933.

VERONA
Interlocking installed

KERNAN
Interlocking installed

STREATOR
Electric interlocking installed 1946, controlled from freight depot
Closed 1980's

Crossing with Norfolk Southern former New York Central Kankakee Branch, and former crossing with Chicago & Alton Washington Branch, abandoned 1979.

Click for Google Map of Streator

STREATOR
Mechanical interlocking installed 1902

Former crossing with Wabash Streator Branch, abandoned 1978.

ANCONA
Electric interlocking installed 1947

Junction with Pekin District.

TOLUCA
Mechanical interlocking installed 1910

LA ROSE
Mechanical interlocking installed 1910

CHILLICOTHE
Electric interlocking installed 1903

Former single track drawbridge over Illinois River on otherwise double track line.


EARLY CTC INSTALLATIONS

Pequot-Chillicothe-Fort Madison
Installed around 1957, control machine in dispatcher's office at Shopton (Fort Madison)