JOLIET

SUBURBAN STREETCAR HISTORY

(Chicago & Joliet Electric Railway)

1885 - Joliet Street Railway Co. introduces horse car service.

1892 - first electric streetcar service operated by Joliet Street Railway Co.

1896 - Joliet Railway Co. incorporated, acquiring Joliet Street Railway Co.

1898 - Joliet Railroad Co. incorporated, acquiring Joliet Railway Co.

1901 - Chicago & Joliet Electric Railway Co. incorporated, as a consolidation of the Joliet Railroad Co., the Chicago and Joliet Rapid Transit Co., and the Chicago and Desplaines Valley Electric Railway Co., and completing interurban line to Cicero Avenue in Chicago. Chicago & Joliet Electric Railway Co. would be a subsidiary of American Railways Co., controlled by Electric Bond & Shares Co.

1922 - Chicago & Joliet Electric Railway Co. forms subsidiary Chicago & Joliet Transportation Co., to operate buses. First route was a feeder from Lockport to Stateville Prison.

1923 - subsidiary Chicago & Joliet Transportation Co. introduces first local bus route in Joliet.

1924 - Chicago & Joliet Electric Railway Co. sold to Middle West Utilities Co., controlled by Samuel Insull.

1927 - Stateville Prison bus route discontinued.

1932 - Samuel Insull resigns from Middle West Utilities Co.

1934 - conversion completed of all local routes in Joliet to buses. Bus system renamed Joliet City Lines when acquired by Rex Finance Corporation, a predecessor to National City Lines.


Go to Chicago Transit & Railfan Web Site