CHICAGO BUS AND STREETCAR ROUTES

ROUTES 70-79

Unless noted, all extension or replacement bus routes were operated by the same companies which had introduced the streetcar routes. In 1908, Calumet Electric Street Railway and South Chicago City Railway merged to form Calumet & South Chicago Railway. Prior to the formation of CTA, Chicago Railways was the only company operating trolleybuses.


70 Division
Horse car route introduced by North Chicago City Railway (east of Chicago River)
Streetcar route introduced by North Chicago Street Railroad/Chicago Railways (east of Chicago River)
Horse car route introduced by Chicago West Division Railway (west of Chicago River)
Streetcar route introduced by West Chicago Street Railroad/Chicago Railways (west of Chicago River)

1886 - horse car service introduced from Milwaukee Ave. to Mozart
1887 - extended east to Wells
1895 - segment Wells to Milwaukee Ave. converted to electric streetcar
1896 - segment Milwaukee Ave. to Mozart converted to electric streetcar
12/16/14 - electric streetcar service introduced on separate segment from Grand to Cicero Ave.
11/25/15 - west segment extended west to Austin
10/11/37 - through routed with Van Buren route, connected primarily via State St.
10/1/41 - extension bus route 70A introduced between California Ave. and Grand Ave.
7/9/46 - west streetcar segment converted to buses, combined with extension bus route
2/4/51 - Division service converted to buses, extension route combined into main route
9/9/73 - downtown service discontinued

There was never any streetcar service on Division St. between California Ave. and Grand Ave., with Humboldt Park in the area. This resulted in two separate streetcar segments, which eventually became part of a single through bus route. Included downtown service throughout much of its history, usually using Milwaukee Ave. to and from downtown. For internal accounting purposes, streetcar was route number 68. Through route to Van Buren St. introduced in 1937, route number 6. Through route with Van Buren discontinued with conversion to buses, route number 70.

Owl service discontinued 9/13/81

Car House: Division (until 5/4/47)
Kedzie (5/4/47-2/4/51)
Bus Garage: North Ave. (10/1/41-9/7/86)
Kedzie (9/7/86-7/3/94)
Chicago Ave. (7/3/94-present)


71 71st/South Shore
Streetcar route introduced by Englewood & Chicago Electric Railway (west of Cottage Grove)
Bus route introduced by Calumet & South Chicago Railway (east of Cottage Grove)

1896 - battery car service introduced from State St. to Cottage Grove
7/1/01 - route converted to electric streetcar
1912 - Chicago City Railway acquires Englewood & Chicago Electric Railway trackage
5/10/35 - extension bus route 71A introduced between Cottage Grove and Lakefront
5/22/47 - streetcar route converted to buses, extension route combined into main route
8/31/2003 - route 27 South Deering combined into route 71, renamed 71st/South Shore

Service originally introduced by Englewood & Chicago Electric Railway Co., which was a predecessor of what became Chicago & Interurban Traction Co., which operated interurban line to Kankakee. When Chicago & Interurban Traction Co. was formed in 1912, routes within city of Chicago were sold to Chicago City Railway.

Car House: 77th St.
Bus Garage: 77th St. (5/10/35-4/3/77)
69th St. (4/3/77-7/3/94)
77th St. (7/3/94-2/7/2010)
103rd St. (2/7/2010-present)


72 North
Horse car route introduced by North Chicago City Railway (east of Chicago River)
Streetcar route introduced by North Chicago Street Railroad/Chicago Railways (east of Chicago River)
Horse car route introduced by Chicago West Division Railway (west of Chicago River)
Streetcar route introduced by West Chicago Street Railroad/Chicago Railways (west of Chicago River)

1875 - horse car service introduced from Damen to California
1887 - extended east to Clark
1892 - extended west to Kedzie
1895 - service converted to electric streetcar, extended west to Pulaski
5/31/00 - extended west to Kenton
6/26/11 - extended west to Lamon
10/10/15 - extended west to Austin
11/24/17 - extended west to Narragansett
9/1/42 - extension bus route 72A introduced between Narragansett and Harlem
7/3/49 - streetcar route converted to trolleybuses
2/1/53 - extension route 72A combined into route 86 North-Narragansett
3/23/73 - trolleybuses replaced with motor buses
1/29/84 - route 86 revised, with North Ave. segment combined into main route 72

Limited stop service originally replaced Humboldt Park rapid transit line.

Owl service discontinued 4/26/98

Certain rush hour trips limited stops 5/5/52-9/9/73

Car House: North Ave.
Bus Garage: North Ave. (9/1/42-9/7/86)
Kedzie (9/7/86-7/3/94)
Chicago Ave. (7/3/94-present)


73 Armitage
Streetcar route introduced by North Chicago Street Railroad/Chicago Railways (east of Chicago River)
Horse car route introduced by Chicago West Division Railway (west of Chicago River)
Streetcar route introduced by West Chicago Street Railroad/Chicago Railways (west of Chicago River)

1877 - horse car service introduced west of Milwaukee Ave. to Washtenaw, as branch of Milwaukee route
1895 - extended west to Kostner
1896 - service converted to electric streetcar
1912 - extended west to Cicero Ave.
6/19/14 - electric streetcar service introduced east of Milwaukee Ave. to Clark
8/15/14 - extended west to Grand
2/2/25 - through crosstown service introduced using both segments on Armitage Ave.
6/24/51 - streetcar route converted to buses, downtown service discontinued
2/1/53 - converted to trolleybuses
10/15/66 - trolleybuses replaced with motor buses

Armitage route originally was a branch of Milwaukee Ave. route from downtown, route 56A. While service on Armitage east of Milwaukee Ave. was a shuttle route. Finally strictly became a crosstown bus route.

Owl service discontinued 1980

Car House: Noble (until 8/31/47)
North Ave. (8/31/47-11/12/50)
Armitage (11/12/50-6/24/51)
Bus Garage: North Ave. (6/24/51-9/7/86)
Kedzie (9/7/86-7/3/94)
Chicago Ave. (7/3/94-present)


74 Fullerton
Horse car route introduced by North Chicago City Railway (east of Chicago River)
Streetcar route introduced by North Chicago Street Railroad/Chicago Railways (east of Chicago River)
Streetcar route introduced by West Chicago Street Railroad/Chicago Railways (west of Chicago River)

1884 - horse car service introduced from Halsted to Racine
1894 - extended west to Milwaukee Ave.
1895 - service converted to electric streetcar
1909 - extended west to Pulaski
9/19/14 - extended west to Cicero
3/16/18 - extended west to Long
10/10/28 - extended west to Central Ave.
6/24/42 - extension bus route 74B introduced between Central and Narragansett
12/4/49 - streetcar route converted to trolleybuses
1/22/73 - trolleybuses replaced with motor buses
6/18/78 - extension bus route combined into main route

Owl service discontinued 2/2/92

Car House: Lincoln
Bus Garage: North Ave. (6/24/42-9/7/86)
Kedzie (9/7/86-7/3/94)
Chicago Ave. (7/3/94-present)


75 74th-75th
Streetcar route introduced by South Chicago City Railway (east of Stony Island)
Streetcar route introduced by Calumet Electric Street Railway (Stony Island to Eggleston)
Streetcar route introduced by Chicago City Railway (west of Eggleston)

1892 - electric streetcar service introduced Lakefront to Vincennes
1893 - extended west via 75th St. to Eggleston
9/14/13 - extended west via 74th St. to Parnell
5/6/14 - extended west via 74th St. to Ashland
10/28/46 - streetcar route converted to buses, extended west to Damen

From 1892 to 1908, segment east of Stony Island was actually part of South Deering route, with service west of Stony Island a shuttle.

Owl service discontinued 9/13/81

Car House: 77th St.
Bus Garage: 77th St. (10/28/46-4/3/77)
69th St. (4/3/77-6/18/95)
74th St. (6/18/95-present)


76 Diversey
Streetcar route introduced by Chicago Railways (west of Logan Square)
Bus route introduced by Chicago Motor Coach Co. (east of Logan Square)
Trolleybus route introduced by Chicago Railways (west of Logan Square)

7/16/23 - electric streetcar service introduced between Kimball and Pulaski
6/18/24 - CMC bus route 34 Diversey introduced east of Logan Square
8/11/27 - extension bus route 76A introduced between Pulaski and Laramie
10/3/28 - CMC bus route 44 introduced, operating west to Narragansett
4/17/30 - CMC route 44 and streetcar and route 76A replaced by trolleybus route 76
9/12/35 - trolleybus route extended east to Western Ave.
10/1/52 - CMC bus route renumbered route 134 after CTA takeover of CMC
6/19/55 - trolleybuses replaced with motor buses, segments combined into one route
2/1/70 - downtown service discontinued

Chicago Motor Coach Co. originally provided most service on Diversey. CMC route 34 originally operated north of downtown via Lake Shore Drive and Stockton (present 151 Sheridan routing through Lincoln Park), and operated via Diversey Pkwy., Logan Blvd., and Wrightwood Blvd. to Pulaski Ave. The extension bus route 76A between Pulaski and Laramie, operated by Chicago Railways, was the first Chicago Surface Lines bus route. A second CMC route 44 operated north of downtown via La Salle St. and Lincoln Park West, and operated via Diversey Pkwy., Logan Blvd., Wrightwood Blvd., Pulaski Ave., and Diversey Ave. as far west as Narragansett Ave. The Chicago Motor Coach Co. had been granted permission in 1928 by the Illinois Commerce Commission to expand on Chicago's northwest side. But the following year, with a new governor and with new appointees on the Illinois Commerce Commission, the commission ruled in favor of Chicago Surface Lines instead operating the new routes. And the streetcar, extension bus, and Chicago Motor Coach route 44 were all replaced by trolleybus route between Kimball Ave. and Narragansett Ave. This was Chicago's first trolleybus route. Service east of the trolleybus continued to be operated by CMC route 34, operating into downtown. With the elimination of trolleybuses, a single through Diversey bus route 76 was created. Service discontinued via Wrightwood Ave., with limited service restored during rush hours 9/13/64 between Logan Square and Pulaski Rd., discontinued 1/24/88.

Owl service discontinued 9/13/81

Bus Garage: Wilcox (6/18/24-1928)
Kostner (1928-1933)
Keeler (1933-3/25/73)
North Ave. (8/11/27-6/19/55)
North Ave. (3/25/73-9/7/86)
Forest Glen (9/7/86-7/3/94)
Chicago Ave. (7/3/94-3/30/2014)
Forest Glen (3/30/2014-present)


77 Belmont
Streetcar route introduced by Chicago Electric Transit Co./Chicago Railways

1895 - electric streetcar service introduced from Halsted to Milwaukee Ave.
6/25/14 - extended west to Pulaski
1/2/17 - extended west to Cicero Ave.
12/7/24 - extended west to Central Ave.
10/3/28 - CMC bus route 46 Belmont-Laramie introduced, operating west to Narragansett
4/17/30 - CMC route 46 discontinued
4/17/30 - extension bus route 77A introduced between Central Ave. and Harlem Ave.
5/30/31 - extension bus route 77A converted to trolleybuses, extended to Pacific Ave.
2/17/47 - extension bus route 77B introduced between Halsted St. and Sheridan Rd.
1/9/49 - streetcar route converted to trolleybuses, route 77A combined into main route
1/9/49 - extended west to Cumberland
1963 - east extension bus route 77B renumbered route 77A
1/13/73 - trolleybuses replaced with motor buses
11/30/75 - east extension bus route 77A combined into main route

Streetcar route existed between Halsted and Central. The extension bus route west of Central replaced part of Chicago Motor Coach route 46, which had operated between Narragansett/Belmont and Diversey/Laramie, via Belmont and Laramie. The extension bus route 77A initially used gasoline buses freed up by introduction of trolleybus service on Diversey.

Owl service

Car House: Limits (until 10/28/46)
North Ave. (10/28/46-1/9/49)
Bus Garage: North Ave. (4/17/30-9/7/86)
Forest Glen (9/7/86-present)


78 Montrose
Streetcar route introduced by North Chicago Electric Railway/Chicago Railways

1897 - electric streetcar service introduced from Broadway to Knox
11/16/30 - extended west to Milwaukee Ave.
1/25/31 - extension trolleybus route 78A introduced from Milwaukee Ave. to Narragansett
7/29/46 - streetcar segment converted to motor buses
4/24/47 - trolleybuses temporarily replaced with motor buses, combined into main route
4/19/48 - entire route converted to trolleybuses
1/13/73 - trolleybuses replaced with motor buses

Owl service discontinued 9/24/78

Car House: Elston
Bus Garage: North Ave. (1/25/31-1/27/43)
Lawrence (1/27/43-5/30/54)
North Park (5/30/54-12/4/55)
Forest Glen (12/4/55-present)


79 79th
Streetcar route introduced by South Chicago City Railway (east of Stony Island)
Streetcar route introduced by Chicago City Railway (west of Stony Island)

1893 - electric streetcar service introduced from Lakefront to Stony Island
5/1/11 - electric streetcar service introduced from State St. to Racine Ave.
11/16/13 - extended from Racine Ave. to Ashland
5/14/14 - extended from Stony Island to Woodlawn
12/27/14 - extended from Woodlawn to State St.
11/22/26 - extended from Ashland to Western Ave.
11/2/42 - extension bus route 79A introduced from Western Ave. to Pulaski
1/21/43 - bus route extended west to Cicero Ave.
2/11/51 - buses substituted for streetcars on weekends
9/16/51 - streetcar route converted to buses
4/2/67 - extension bus route combined into main route

Original segment was part of the Windsor Park route, later route 24. In 1908 became a route strictly on 79th St., combined with west segment in 1914.

Owl service

Car House/Bus Garage: 77th St.