1896 - service introduced from 63rd/Stony Island into Whiting and East Chicago, IN
1913 - Route revised to terminate at 63rd/South Park
6/9/40 - all streetcar service to Indiana replaced with buses
Route number was not publicized, used for internal accounting purposes. Service into Indiana was jointly operated with the Hammond Whiting & East Chicago Railway, later Calumet Railways, and finally Chicago & Calumet District Transit Co. Originally, route duplicated Windsor Park route between 63rd St. and Stony Island and 92nd/Commercial. In 1913, route was revised to operate via South Chicago from a new terminal at 63rd St. and South Park (now King Drive), using South Park south of 63rd St. After streetcars were discontinued, Chicago & Calumet District Transit Co. continued to operate replacement bus service, while streetcar service within Illinois was replaced with South Chicago-Ewing route, which evolved into present CTA route 30.
1885 - horse car service introduced on Ewing from Mackinaw to 106th St.
1891 - horse car service introduced on South Chicago from Cottage Grove to 75th St.
1893 - Ewing service converted to electric streetcar, combined with Windsor Park route
1895 - electric streetcar service extended south from 75th St. to 95th St.
1896 - service extended south of 106th St, into Hammond, Whiting, and East Chicago, IN
8/3/02 - horse car segment from Cottage Grove to 75th St. converted to electric streetcar
2/23/13 - Through Route 5 introduced from downtown via Cottage Grove, to 92nd/Commercial
1913 - Whiting-East Chicago route revised to terminate at 63rd/South Park (now King Drive)
6/10/14 - Hammond route revised to terminate at 63rd/South Park
1/22/18 - electric streetcar service introduced south of 108th/Ewing to Hegewisch
4/10/27 - Ewing segment transferred to Through Route 5
6/9/40 - all service to Indiana discontinued, replaced with South Chicago-Ewing route
10/21/46 - Hegewisch streetcar route converted to buses, route 25
6/30/47 - South Chicago-Ewing converted to buses, combined with Hegewisch route 25
12/4/49 - Through Route 5 discontinued, eliminating streetcars on South Chicago Ave.
1952 - route 25 South Chicago-Ewing renumbered to route 30
9/28/69 - north terminal relocated to new rapid transit station at 69th/Dan Ryan
Route evolved from what at one time was four different streetcar routes. Through Route 5 operated from downtown via Cottage Grove, to 108th/Ewing. Route 25 operated south of 108th/Ewing to Hegewisch. And routes 30 and 32 operated into Whiting-East Chicago and Hammond Indiana respectively, although those two route numbers were not publicized, used for internal accounting purposes, when routes operated into Indiana. Between 1896 and 1914, the Indiana routes originally operated from 63rd St. and Stony Island, subsequently moved to a new terminal at 63rd St. and South Park (now King Drive). Three routes thus operated via South Chicago Ave., reduced to two when the two routes operating into Indiana were replaced by a single South Chicago-Ewing route, numbered internally as route 30. Indiana service discontinued 6/9/40, with replacement route 30 extended south to 108th/Ewing. Effective 6/30/47, when the South Chicago-Ewing and Hegewisch routes were combined into one bus route, route was numbered 25, later renumbered 30. During a two year period, there was the Through Route 5 streetcar and the route 25 South Chicago-Ewing bus, traveling on South Chicago Ave. With elimination of streetcar route effective 12/4/49, certain buses made limited stops on South Chicago. By 9/8/63, all buses made limited stops, and route was named "South Chicago Express". But more stops were gradually added, and the "express" label was dropped effective 2/22/76.
Owl service discontinued 12/6/70
Sunday service discontinued 2/2/92 north of 92nd St.
Car House: Burnside/Cottage Grove (until 9/12/49)
Cottage Grove/77th St. (9/12/49-12/4/49)
Bus Garage: 77th St. (10/21/46-7/4/93)
103rd St. (7/4/93-present)
1889 - horse car service introduced from Lake Park to Ashland
1895 - route converted to electric streetcar
2/29/48 - streetcar route converted to buses
2/5/56 - route combined with route 26 26th St.
11/10/75 - service discontinued on 26th St.
9/13/81 - discontinued
4/8/82 - service restored
10/5/97 - discontinued
9/4/2016 - service experimentally restored
Owl service discontinued 2/7/65
Sunday service discontinued 9/13/81, not restored
Car House/Bus Garage: Archer (until 10/5/97)
77th St. (9/4/2016-present)
12/4/49 - introduced as bus route between Kedzie and Kostner
10/5/97 - discontinued
Later numbered 32
Sunday service discontinued 6/18/61
Saturday service discontinued 10/22/61
Midday service discontinued 9/7/76
Bus Garage: Archer
1896 - service introduced from 63rd/Stony Island into Hammond, IN
6/10/14 - Route revised to terminate at 63rd/South Park (now King Drive)
6/9/40 - all streetcar service to Indiana replaced with buses
Route number was not publicized, used for internal accounting purposes. Service into Indiana was jointly operated with the Hammond Whiting & East Chicago Railway, later Calumet Railways, and finally Chicago & Calumet District Transit Co. Originally, route duplicated South Deering route between 63rd St. and Stony Island and 92nd/Commercial. In 1914, route was revised to operate via South Chicago from a new terminal at 63rd St. and South Park (now King Drive), using South Park south of 63rd St. After streetcars were discontinued, Chicago & Calumet District Transit Co. continued to operate replacement bus service, while streetcar service within Illinois was replaced with South Chicago-Ewing route, which evolved into present CTA route 30.
Internal accounting number for local streetcar service, not publicly used. By the time route numbers were used for all streetcars and buses, all Indiana service was identified as route 38, originally the Lincoln route local route number. A Through Route 3 Lincoln-Indiana streetcar route had also existed.
4/7/89 - introduced as bus route
3/31/2013 - discontinued
Connected Clybourn and Western Ave. Metra stations with North Michigan Ave. area.
Operated rush hours only
Bus Garage: Kedzie (4/7/89-7/3/94)
Chicago Ave. (7/3/94-3/31/2013)
1896 - electric streetcar service introduced from 119th/Michigan to 127th/Indiana
1/14/14 - extended south to 138th/Leyden
1943 - South Suburban Safeway Lines begins serving Altgeld Gardens
9/9/46 - streetcar route converted to buses
9/28/69 - restructured to serve new 95th/Dan Ryan terminal, with branch via 119th St.
8/15/81 - CTA introduces some service to Altgeld Gardens
9/8/85 - route restructured with Altgeld Gardens as only south terminal
Route number 34 assigned to State route internally for accounting purposes until 1937, when State route combined into 36 Broadway-State through streetcar route. For many years there was a 34A Riverdale route, operating between 119th/Michigan and 138th/Indiana, and connecting with the State route. Route renumbered 34 after State route was combined into 36 Broadway-State route. With opening of Dan Ryan rapid transit line, route restructured with alternating buses serving either 138th/Indiana or 119th/Morgan, over former State route. Meanwhile, a South Suburban Safeway Lines (now Pace) bus route 356 had operated between 95th/Dan Ryan and the Altgeld Gardens housing project, ending at 131st/Ellis. This route would use King Drive north of 111th St. The Altgeld Gardens housing project had opened in 1943, and at the time it was more practical for South Suburban Safeway Lines to introduce bus serve into the area, than for Chicago Surface Lines to extend its streetcar line or provide its own connecting buses. In 1981, CTA began operating some service to Altgeld Gardens, due to RTA's financial crisis and temporary shutdown of South Suburban Safeway Lines. CTA now operates the 34 route to Altgeld Gardens, while Pace now serves 138th/Indiana and beyond into the suburbs via route 353. The 119th St. service meanwhile is now designated the 119 route.
Owl service introduced 8/15/81, replacing South Suburban Safeway Lines service
Car House: Burnside
Bus Garage: 77th St. (9/9/46-12/4/49)
103rd St. (6/26/88-present)
Streetcar route introduced by Chicago City Railway
1887 - horse car service introduced from State St. to Racine
1892 - extended west to California Ave.
1893 - route converted to electric streetcar
1898 - extended east to Cottage Grove
10/30/11 - extended west to Kedzie/36th St.
4/15/51 - streetcar route converted to buses
Owl service discontinued 4/26/98
Car House: Archer (until 10/21/46)
Cottage Grove (10/21/46-4/15/51)
Bus Garage: Archer (4/15/51-2/7/2010)
77th St. (2/7/2010-12/16/2012)
1863 - horse car service introduced from Diversey to Irving Park Rd.
1864 - horse car route converted to steam dummy
1883 - steam dummy again replaced with horse cars
1893 - electric streetcar service introduced from Irving Park Rd. to Evanston
1896 - horse car segment from Diversey to Irving Park Rd. converted to electric streetcar
10/21/06 - service into downtown Chicago introduced via newly electrified Clark route
12/27/10 - trackage north of Howard St. in Evanston sold to County Traction Co.
5/20/17 - shuttle route introduced on Devon Ave. west of Clark St. to Western Ave.
12/14/25 - Devon shuttle route extended west to Kedzie Ave.
7/10/32 - main route rerouted to terminate at Kedzie/Devon, replacing shuttle route
8/19/37 - Through Route Broadway-State streetcar introduced
12/15/47 - Devon Extension converted to buses, transferred to route 36A Devon
10/18/53 - route 36A combined into former CMC route 155
9/5/54 - buses substituted on weekends
12/5/55 - Through Route discontinued with conversion of State segment to buses
2/16/57 - streetcar route converted to buses
Original Broadway streetcar route was operated by Chicago & North Shore Street Railway Co., which operated via Clark St. north of Devon Ave., with route extending north of Howard St. into Evanston. Through service between downtown Chicago and Evanston was made possible when Clark St. cable car line was converted to electric operation. Chicago & North Shore Street Railway Co. eventually became part of Chicago Railways, and with trackage north of Howard St. going to County Traction Co., through service between Chicago and Evanston was discontinued. County Traction line in Evanston acquired by Evanston Railway Co. in 1913. When streetcar route on State was converted to buses and Through Route was discontinued, bus service on State was renumbered 36A. Effective 2/15/76, route 36A was renumbered 29.
Owl service discontinued 9/13/81
Car House: Devon
Bus Garage: North Park (2/16/57-9/2/79)
North Park/Limits (9/2/79-7/3/94)
North Park (7/3/94-present)
1861 - horse car service introduced on Sedgwick from Division to North
1863 - Sedgwick route extended north to Armitage
1882 - Sedgwick route extended south into downtown via Wells
1889 - horse car service introduced on Sheffield from Lincoln to Clark
1890 - horse car service introduced on Taylor from Wells to Western Ave.
1893 - Sheffield segment converted to gas car
1894 - Sheffield segment converted to electric streetcar
1895 - Sedgwick segment converted to electric streetcar
1896 - Taylor segment converted to electric streetcar
7/20/14 - through Taylor-Sedgwick-Sheffield streetcar route formed
9/1/47 - route 37 Taylor-Sedgwick-Sheffield streetcar service converted to buses
9/13/81 - Service discontinued on Sheffield Ave. and combined with route 58 Ogden
6/18/2006 - Ogden-Taylor segment split off as route 38
6/16/2008 - discontinued via Ogden between California and Pulaski
1/2/2007 - Sedgwick segment combined into route 11 Lincoln
9/6/2009 - route 38 combined into route 157 Streeterville
12/16/2012 - Sedgwick segment becomes separate route 37 again
For many years was part of a through route, until creation of separate route 38, and route segments transferred to routes 11 and 157.
Owl service discontinued 9/13/70
Weekend service discontinued 1/24/82
Midday service discontinued 4/26/98
Midday service restored 6/15/2008
Car House: Kedzie/Lincoln
Bus Garages: Ardmore/Lawndale (9/1/47-5/29/50)
Chicago Ave. (3/30/2014-present)
1878 - horse car service introduced from Lincoln to Racine
1884 - extended as loop Webster-Racine-Fullerton-Halsted-Webster
1890 - horse car route converted to air car
1892 - air cars replaced with conduit streetcars
1894 - conduit streetcars again replaced with horse cars
1895 - service converted to electric streetcar, discontinued shortly after
9/14/24 - streetcar service restored as loop Webster-Racine-Fullerton-Lincoln-Webster
9/1/47 - streetcar route converted to buses, consolidated into route 37
Route number was not publicized, used for internal accounting purposes. Also at times was internally identified as route 74A.
Car House: Lincoln
Internal accounting number for local streetcar service, not publicly used. Upon conversion to buses in 1951, route renumbered 11
1865 - horse car service introduced from downtown to 31st St.
1875 - extended south to 39th St.
1877 - extended south to 51st St.
1895 - segment south of 39th St. converted to electric streetcar
1896 - segment north of 39th St. converted to electric streetcar
6/29/52 - buses substituted on weekends
5/24/53 - streetcar route converted to buses, extended south to 63rd St.
5/18/58 - creation of one way streets results in route duplicating route 6 Garfield
9/28/69 - route 6 Garfield discontinued due to opening of Dan Ryan rapid transit line
9/13/81 - route combined into route 1 Indiana-Hyde Park, discontinued south of 51st St.
2/6/83 - shuttle route 38 Indiana introduced between 51st St. and 63rd St.
1/24/88 - shuttle route 38 Indiana discontinued
Previously route number 33, operated between downtown and 51st St. With conversion to buses, extended south to 63rd St. With the creation of one way streets, southbound service rerouted to Michigan Ave. Similarly, ex-CMC route 6, operating from Garfield Blvd., rerouted northbound via Indiana Ave.
Owl service discontinued 9/9/72
Car House: Cottage Grove
Bus Garage: 52nd St.
77th St. (4/24/83-1/24/88)
1/9/94 - introduced as bus route
5/12/96 - discontinued
Limited stop route between downtown with branches to Ashland/63rd and Stony Island/63rd, operated while Green Line rapid transit route was closed for renovation.
Bus Garage: 69th St. (1/9/94-6/18/95)
74th St. (6/18/95-5/12/96)
1875 - horse car service introduced from Cottage Grove to State St.
1890 - extended west to Halsted
1894 - route converted to electric streetcar
1/13/19 - electric streetcar service introduced from Ashland to Western Ave.
8/28/45 - west streetcar segment converted to buses
2/15/48 - east streetcar segment converted to buses, single through bus route formed
Was two separate streetcar routes, replaced with one bus route, which at time was also extended west to St. Louis Ave.
Weekend service discontinued 10/5/97
Weekend service experimentally restored 6/18/2017
Car House: Archer/Cottage Grove
Bus Garage: Archer (8/28/45-2/7/2010)
77th St. (2/7/2010-12/16/2012)