RAILROAD OPERATING INFORMATION
FORMERLY Chicago & North Western Railway
(Galena Division/Subdivision 3)
CONSTRUCTED 1849 (Turner-Elgin) by Galena & Chicago Union Railroad
CONSTRUCTED 1852 (Elgin-Rockford)/1853 (Rockford-Freeport) by Galena & Chicago Union Railroad
DOUBLE TRACK constructed 1910 (Turner-Wayne)
ABS installed 1923 (Turner-Elgin)
LAST PASSENGER TRAIN: late 1940's
DOWNGRADED 1950's (Turner-Elgin)
ABANDONED 1961 (Turner-West Chicago Yard)
ABANDONED 1972 (Winnebago-Freeport)
ABANDONED 1981 (Rockford-Winnebago)
Line diverged from present main line at Turner, east side of West Chicago, until 1961 when connection was formed within West Chicago Yard, eliminating a separate crossing with the Elgin Joliet & Eastern line. Main traffic generator on this line is Chrysler automobile plant in Belvidere. Line also provides rail access to Illinois Railway Museum in Union.
Radio Frequency - 160.890 (AAR Channel 52)
Direction is westward from West Chicago to Freeport
Distance is from Chicago
ITALICS INDICATE ABANDONED SEGMENTS
30.5 West Chicago Yard
39.2 South Elgin
41.0 Elgin Jct.
41.8 West Elgin
72.1 Garden Prairie
84.2 Cherry Valley
93.5 End Of Track
1 track, Track Warrants in use.
Known discontinued passenger railroad stations. Includes zoomable Google maps.
Past and present towers and interlockings.