This is the only railroad in the Chicago area, where a commuter operation was newly created in recent years. This railroad was originally the Wisconsin Central Railroad. The only record found of an earlier commuter service on this line, was the affiliated Chicago & Northern Pacific Railroad, between Chicago/Grand Central Station and Thatcher's Park, north of River Forest. That service was discontinued in 1897. Trackage south of Thatcher's Park to Forest Park became part of Wisconsin Central, later the Soo Line. While the Chicago & Northern Pacific Railroad east of Forest Park eventually became part of the Baltimore & Ohio Chicago Terminal Railroad. The new Metra commuter operation completely bypasses this area, using former Milwaukee Road trackage between Chicago and Franklin Park.
Stations capitalized and without commentary are present Metra stations, further information on stations at official Metra Web Site.
Stations listed in lower case are former stations, serving local and through trains. In 1958, service was discontinued at all stations between Schiller Park and Antioch, operating nonstop over that segment. Although for the final years of service until discontinuance in 1965, stops were restored at Des Plaines, Wheeling, and Lake Villa. Some of the new Metra stations were basically built at the same locations, other stations were constructed at somewhat different locations.
Milepost locations are indicated, distance from Chicago/Grand Central Station.
Exact locations are not available for all stations.
Franklin Park (15.3) - station was presumably located near Chestnut Ave., north of Grand Ave. and south of the "Tower B-12" crossing with the Milwaukee Road. Discontinued late 1930's.
BELMONT AVE. (15.8)
Schiller Park (17.0) - old station was located north of Irving Park Rd., on the east side of the tracks. A newer station was later built at that location, on the west side of the track.
SCHILLER PARK (17.4)
O'HARE TRANSFER (19.8)
Orchard Place (20.2) - station was located near Central Ave., on the west side of the track. Construction of the Northwest Tollway eliminated several streets in that area, the station was north of where the Tollway passes over the railroad.
River View (21.5) - station was located north of Park Ave. (now Prospect Ave.), on the east side of the track. Discontinued early 1930's.
Des Plaines (22.8) - station was located north of Thacker St., on the west side of the track.
PROSPECT HEIGHTS (26.6)
WHEELING (29.9) - old station was located immediately north of the new station location, north of Town St. on the west side of the track.
BUFFALO GROVE (32.0)
PRAIRIE VIEW (34.4) - old station was presumably located a short distance south of the new station location, presumably closer to Half Day Rd.
VERNON HILLS (35.7)
Leithton (37.9) - location is Elgin Joliet & Eastern Railroad crossing. Discontinued late 1930's.
Mundelein (40.0) - old station was located north of Park St., on the west side of the track, north of the new station.
PRAIRIE CROSSING (43.4)
Grays Lake (45.5) - old station was located north of Center St. (County Hwy. A27), on the west side of the track, one mile south of the new station at Washington St.
WASHINGTON ST. (46.5)
ROUND LAKE BEACH (48.5)
LAKE VILLA (50.7)
Lake Villa (51.0) - old station was presumably located north of Cedar Ave., north of the new station.
ANTIOCH (55.4) - old station was located a short distance south of the new station location, closer to Depot St., on the west side of the track.
Forest Park/Oak Park Area
Cook County Suburbs (W)
Cook County Suburbs (N)