Chicago's largest commuter operation previously had many local stations within Chicago and the immediate nearby suburbs. But in 1958, many of those stations were discontinued, allowing Chicago & North Western to focus more on longer suburban commutes. Some stations were discontinued earlier. As it turns out, CTA rapid transit lines operate close to all three Chicago & North Western lines in these areas.
Discontinued stations were closed in 1958, unless noted.
Stations capitalized and without commentary are present Metra stations, further information on stations at official Metra Web Site.
Milepost locations are indicated, distance from Chicago.
Deering (3.5) - station was located south of Fullerton Ave., on the west side of the tracks, and was an earlier closure.
Belmont Avenue (4.6) - station was previously known as Gross Park, and was located north of Belmont Ave., on the east side of the tracks.
Cuyler (5.5) - station was later known as Northcenter, and was located south of Irving Park Rd., on the east side of the tracks.
Ravenswood-Wilson (6.2) - station was located between Sunnyside Ave. and Wilson Ave., on the east side of the tracks.
RAVENSWOOD (6.5) - was added to replace Ravenswood-Wilson and Summerdale stations.
Summerdale (7.1) - station was located between Foster Ave. and Farragut Ave., on the east side of the tracks.
Rose Hill (7.8) - station was located north of Cemetery Dr. (now Rosehill Dr.), on the east side of the tracks.
Kenmore (8.4) - station was previously known as High Ridge, and was located south of Thome Ave., on the east side of the tracks.
ROGERS PARK (9.4)
Calvary (10.3) - station was located north of Mulford St., on the east side of the tracks. Stairways remain evident.
MAIN STREET (11.0)
Dempster Street (11.5) - station was located south of Dempster St., on the east side of the tracks. Stairways remain evident.
CENTRAL STREET (13.3)
Rogers Park Area