Also shown is the freight only Lakeside Belt Line on Milwaukee's south side, which helped deliver coal to the Lakeside Power Plant which was part of the same company. Opened in 1932, final segments abandoned or sold to Chicago & North Western Railroad in 1963.
After 1930, interurban trains operating west began using a new high speed line between downtown Milwaukee and the west suburbs. There was even a proposal to construct a subway in the heart of downtown Milwaukee for the interurban trains, but the great depression prevented that. Much of the abandoned high speed right of way was subsequently used for construction of a freeway.
Trackage of the Chicago North Shore & Milwaukee Railroad is shown in green.