Purple Swan Safety Coach Lines
Incorporated in 1926. Renamed in 1927 to Greyhound Lines Inc. after acquisition as a subsidiary of Greyhound predecessor Motor Transit Corp. Renamed in 1928 to Illinois Greyhound Lines, route in Missouri transferred to Pickwick-Greyhound Lines.
Operated from Chicago to St. Louis. Segment St. Louis to Kansas City transferred to Pickwick-Greyhound Lines.
Illinois Greyhound Lines
Renamed in 1928 after evolving from above Purple Swan Safety Coach Lines.
Through acquisitions, formed a main route from Chicago to St. Louis primarily via US Hwy. 45 and Effingham and US Hwy. 40. Acquisitions enabled intrastate rights in Illinois.
Subsequently acquired routes from the following companies:
Tri-State Bus Co.
Incorporated in 1927, acquired in 1931. In 1929 acquired Alton Transportation Co., which in 1926 had acquired Gadberry Transportation Co. and Ritter Motor Bus Co.
Through acquisitions, formed a main route from Chicago to St. Louis primarily via US Hwy. 66.
White Star Motor Lines
Formed in 1925 out of a merger of Peoria Farmington Coach Line and Peoria White Star Bus Co. Acquired in 1936.
Operated from Chicago to Peoria and Canton.
Black Hawk Motor Transit Co.
Incorporated in 1924, acquired in 1947.
Operated throughout northern Illinois.
Illinois Greyhound Lines consolidated in 1955 into Great Lakes Greyhound Lines, subsequently consolidated in 1957 into Central Division of Greyhound.