INTERCITY BUS COMPANIES

GREAT LAKES GREYHOUND LINES


1948 MAP


Incorporated in 1941, acquiring the following company:

Eastern Michigan Motorbuses
Formed in 1928 as a bus subsidiary of Eastern Michigan Railway, which was Detroit United Railway prior to 1928.

Detroit Transportation (Suburbs)
When formed, Eastern Michigan Motorbuses operated primarily in the Detroit and suburban area, whose transit history is covered at this link.

Detroit United Railway acquired the following bus companies, as subsidiaries, operating beyond the Detroit suburban area:

Highway Motorbus Co.
Began operations in 1922, acquired in 1924 as a subsidiary.

Operated from Detroit to Ann Arbor and Jackson, and from Detroit to Lansing and Grand Rapids.

White Star Motorbus Co.
Began operations in 1923, acquired in 1924 as a subsidiary.

Operated from Detroit to Flint, from Detroit to Port Huron, and from Flint to Port Huron.

Wolverine Transit
Acquired in 1924, merged into subsidiary White Star Motorbus Co.

Operated from Detroit to Warren and Disco, later extended to Imlay City.

Detroit-Toledo Transportation Co.
Acquired in 1924, merged into subsidiary Highway Motorbus Co.

Operated from Detroit to Toledo.

Detroit & Toledo Trackless Coach Co.
Began operations in 1926, acquired in 1927, merged into subsidiary Highway Motorbus Co.

Operated from Detroit to Toledo.

Interstate Stages
Began operations in 1926, acquired in 1927, merged into subsidiary Highway Motorbus Co.

Operated from Detroit to Toledo.

Outer Belt Transit Line
Began operations in 1922, acquired in 1927 as a subsidiary.

Operated from Ann Arbor to Plymouth and Pontiac.

In 1928, above subsidiaries consolidated into Eastern Michigan Motorbuses. Eastern Michigan Motorbuses subsequently acquired the following companies:

Southern Michigan Transportation Co.
Began operations in 1925, acquired in 1935.

Operated from Jackson to Kalamazoo and Lansing.

Rapid Transport
Began operations in 1925, acquired in 1935.

Operated from Grand Rapids to Kalamazoo.

Northern Transit Co.
Acquired in 1935.

Operated from Flint to Bay City.

Great Lakes Motor Bus Co.
Began operations in 1931, acquired in 1937.

Operated from Detroit to Petoskey and Mackinaw City and Sault Ste. Marie.

Through acquisitions and expansion, Eastern Michigan Motorbuses and Great Lakes Greyhound Lines subsequently operated throughout the state of Michigan. Great Lakes Greyhound Lines subsequently acquired the following companies:

Huron Shore Bus Line
Began operations in 1941, acquired in 1945.

Operated from Bay City to Alpena.

Lansing-St. Johns Bus
Acquired in 1945.

Operated from Lansing to St. Johns.

Mt. Pleasant-St. Johns Bus
Acquired in 1945.

Operated from St. Johns to Clare.

Lake Shore Bus Line
Acquired in 1948.

Operated from Port Huron to Bad Axe and Port Austin.

Yellow Bus Line
Acquired in 1948.

Operated from Saginaw to Frankfort.

Short Way Lines
Acquired in 1950, one route only.

Operated from Kalamazoo to Fort Wayne.

Great Lakes Greyhound Lines consolidated in 1957 into Central Division of Greyhound.


Go to Chicago Transit & Railfan Web Site