CLASSIC TRACK DIAGRAMS

PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD

Pittsburgh Division

Former Pennsylvania Railroad main line between Harrisburg and Pittsburgh. At the time, the line was mostly four tracks, and had a significant number of manual interlocking towers. This diagram is based on a composite of information, not necessarily from the same exact eras. But this is a representation of the railroad as it likely existed from approximately the 1930's to 1950's. Between Altoona and RG, the inside tracks were assigned to passenger trains and the outside tracks were assigned to freight trains. Between RG and CP, the outside tracks were assigned to passenger trains and the inside tracks were assigned to freight trains. Between CP and R, the north tracks were assigned to passenger trains and the south tracks were assigned to freight trains. And between R and Pittsburgh, the outside tracks were assigned to passenger trains and the inside tracks were assigned to freight trains. West of Johnstown, one track was mostly removed during the 1950's or 1960's. And during the 1990's, Conrail installed the present CTC, reducing the line to 2 tracks, 3 tracks between Altoona and Johnstown.