GARY TRANSIT HISTORY

INTERURBAN BUSES

Some of these bus routes replaced interurban railways, covered in the Interurban Railway section of this Web site.

1922 - Rail service between Woodville and Chesterton abandoned, replaced with buses.

1925 - Bus service between Woodville and Chesterton discontinued.

1925 - Gary Railways Co. introduces interurban bus routes operating Gary to Michigan City, Hammond to Cedar Lake, Gary to Hobart and Valparaiso, Gary to Merrillville and Valparaiso, Hammond to Valparaiso, Gary to Hobart, Hobart to Deep River. Also operating was a line from Gary to Crown Point, Rensselaer, and Lafayette, whose history is obscure. In addition, Gary Railways Co. introduces several routes in Hammond-East Chicago-Whiting area, covered in the Hammond section of this Web site.

1926 - Shore Line Motor Coach Co. formed as subsidiary of Midland Utilities, to assume all bus operations from Gary Railways Co. Shore Line Motor Coach Co. acquires B. P. Shearon's Bus Line between Michigan City and Benton Harbor, Michigan, which becomes a bus connection to Chicago South Shore & South Bend Railroad. Shore Line Motor Coach Co. also acquires Carey & Leach Bus Lines Inc., operating between Chicago and Detroit via Kalamazoo, Michigan.

1927 - Shore Line Motor Coach Co. introduces new luxury "Golden Arrow" bus route between South Bend and Detroit, connecting with the Chicago South Shore & South Bend Railroad trains.

1927 - Shore Line Motor Coach Co. routes east of Michigan City sold to Southwestern Michigan Motor Coach Co., which the following year would be sold to Motor Transit Corp., a predecessor of Greyhound. Chicago South Shore & South Bend Railroad would operate Benton Harbor bus route until 1963.

1931 - All interurban bus routes introduced in 1925 discontinued. Only remaining Shore Line Motor Coach Co. service is in Hammond-East Chicago-Whiting area, which is sold to Chicago & Calumet District Transit Co.

1932 - Gary Railways Co. becomes subsidiary of Chicago & Calumet District Transit Co., continuing operation as separate company.

1933 - Crown Point rail line abandoned, replaced with buses.

1938 - Valparaiso rail line abandoned, replaced with buses.

1939 - Hobart rail line abandoned, replaced with buses.

1943 - Gary Railways Co. sold to Gary Railways Inc.

1950's - Bus service to Valparaiso discontinued.

1956 - Gary Railways reorganized, with Gary Transit Inc. formed to operate city bus service, and Gary Intercity Lines Inc. formed to operate interurban bus service.

1971 - All bus service outside Gary discontinued.

1975 - Gary Transit becomes publicly owned Gary Public Transportation Corporation.

1996 - Gary Public Transportation Corporation introduces bus routes to Hammond and to Crown Point.

2007 - V-Line introduces local bus service in Valparaiso, along with connecting service to NICTD rail line.


In addition, according to the 1952 "Mass Transportation's Directory", there existed a Cedar Lake Bus Service, operating in southern Lake County. Also, according to the WPA American Guide Series of state guidebooks, there existed an Interstate Travelways around the 1930's, serving Gary.


Go to Chicago Transit & Railfan Web Site