Official Web site of the Western Reserve Transit Authority.
In 1973, the Western Reserve Transit Authority became responsible for all transit lines in the Youngstown area. The last streetcars ran in 1940.
In 1873, the Youngstown Street Railway introduced horse car service in Youngstown. For many years, the streetcar system was known as the Youngstown Municipal Railway Co., a subsidiary of the Pennsylvania Ohio Electric Co., which also owned interurban railways and supplied electric power.
Map showing streetcar system at its peak.
Many of today's bus routes in Youngstown have histories which can be traced back to streetcars, and even horse cars.
Streetcars operated in Youngstown until 1940.
Buses have operated in Youngstown since 1922.
The various carhouses in the Youngstown area were eventually replaced with a single modern bus garage.
Some information for this page is from "The Electric Railways of Northeastern Ohio", the Central Electric Railfans' Association (CERA) Bulletin 108. Additional information is from the August 1970 issue of the magazine "Motor Coach Age".
Chicago Transit & Railfan Web Site