MICHIGAN'S INTERLOCKINGS

GRAND TRUNK WESTERN

Flint Subdivision

Now owned by CN.

Was mostly a double track line with single direction ABS. Between Durand and Port Huron, single track CTC installed in 1956 and 1957, described below. Although CTC was not completed on the remainder of the line until the 1990's, dispatcher control of several interlockings was adopted earlier.


NICHOLS
Tower listed with New York Central

CHARLOTTE
Electric interlocking installed 1923
Closed 1976

Former crossing with New York Central Grand Rapids Branch, abandoned 1976.

SOUTH LANSING (Cedar Street)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1888
Closed by 1980's, remotely controlled by CTC dispatcher

Crossing with New York Central Saginaw Branch, former crossing with New York Central Lansing Branch, abandoned 1940.

Click for Google Map of Lansing

TROWBRIDGE
Mechanical interlocking installed 1890
Closed 1973, remotely controlled by CTC dispatcher

Crossing with Pere Marquette Plymouth Subdivision.

DURAND
Interlocking installed 1897
Closed 1903
Non interlocked junction and crossing most years

Crossing and junction with Holly Subdivision and Grand Rapids Subdivision, and former crossing with Ann Arbor Railroad.

FLINT
Tower listed with Pere Marquette

KEARSLEY (Flint)
Tower listed with Pere Marquette

LAPEER JCT.
Mechanical interlocking installed 1893
Closed 1979

Former crossing with New York Central Bay City Branch, not included in Conrail 1976.

TAPPAN (Port Huron)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1892
Closed 1984, remotely controlled by CTC dispatcher

Junction with Mount Clemens Subdivision, former crossing with Pere Marquette Port Huron Subdivision, abandoned around 1998.

PORT HURON (16th Street)
Interlocking installed
Closed 1973

Connection with CN tunnel to Sarnia.


EARLY CTC INSTALLATIONS

Durand-Lapeer-Imlay City-Tappan
Installed 1956, control machine in dispatcher's office in Battle Creek
Completed 1957