INDIANA'S INTERLOCKINGS

ERIE RAILROAD/ERIE LACKAWANNA

Main Line

Abandoned 1980.

Was mostly a double track line with single direction ABS. Between Aldine and Bippus, single track CTC installed between 1955 and 1959, described below, eliminating some towers.


STATE LINE
Tower listed with Chicago & Western Indiana

CALUMET RIVER (CA TOWER)
Bridge constructed 1902
Electric interlocking installed 1907

Former drawbridge over Calumet River. Only the Norfolk Southern (former Nickel Plate) line remains. Previously, the Erie Railroad paralleled on the east side, coming from State Line to the north. And south of here, the Erie railroad paralleled on the west side going to Hohman Avenue. And to the west, the Monon crossed the river over a separate bridge, still standing and abandoned.

HOHMAN AVENUE
Tower listed with Indiana Harbor Belt

HAMMOND YARD (HY TOWER)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1925

North of here, the Erie Railroad was a double track line, over which Chesapeake & Ohio had trackage rights. South of here, those two railroads operated a paired track. From around 1907 to the mid 1920's, this was a junction with the Hammond Belt Railway, a subsidiary of Chesapeake & Ohio. The Hammond Belt Railway proceeded west and northwest to Riverdale, and it was intended as a means for Chesapeake & Ohio to have its own route into Chicago.

ND/HIGHLAND
Tower listed with New York Central

GRIFFITH
Tower listed with Elgin Joliet & Eastern

PALMER
Interlocking installed 1906
Closed before 1940

Little is known about this interlocking, other than that a Palmer block signal tower had previously existed in Lake County. This interlocking existed in Porter County, further east.

BOONE GROVE
Interlocking installed 1906
Closed before 1940

Little is known about this interlocking.

KOUTS
Tower listed with Pennsylvania Railroad

WILDERS
Mechanical interlocking installed 1905
Electric interlocking installed 1917
Closed 1945, replaced with CTC installation at Kouts tower

Former crossing with Monon Route Michigan City Branch, abandoned 1980. Until 1943 also crossing was the Chicago Attica & Southern Railroad.

NORTH JUDSON
Tower listed with Pennsylvania Railroad

DE LONG
Mechanical interlocking installed before 1906
Replaced with automatic interlocking 1958

Former crossing with Pennsylvania Railroad South Bend Branch, abandoned 1976.

RS TOWER (Rochester)
Mechanical interlocking installed before 1906
Closed 1956, replaced with CTC installation in Huntington

Former crossing with Nickel Plate Indianapolis Division.

NEWTON (Bolivar)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1908
Closed 1959, replaced with CTC installation in Huntington

Former crossing with Pennsylvania Railroad Butler Branch, abandoned 1976.

BOLIVAR
Mechanical interlocking installed before 1906
Closed 1959, replaced with CTC installation in Huntington

Former crossing with New York Central Marion District.

HUNTINGTON
Mechanical interlocking installed before 1906
Closed 1977

Former crossing with Wabash main line.

KINGSLAND
Mechanical interlocking installed before 1906

Former crossing with electric Fort Wayne & Wabash Valley Traction Co., abandoned 1941.

KINGSLAND
Mechanical interlocking installed 1907
Closed 1977

Former crossing with Nickel Plate New Castle District.

DA TOWER (Decatur)
Mechanical interlocking installed before 1906

Former crossing with Nickel Plate Cloverleaf District, and Pennsylvania Railroad GR&I line, abandoned 1976.


EARLY CTC INSTALLATIONS

Hammond-Griffith
Installed 1931, traffic levers at HY Tower and Griffith tower

Traffic levers at each tower for each of the two tracks, enabled coordination of safe bidirectional operation on each track.

Kouts-Wilders
Installed 1945, control machine at Kouts tower

Aldine-Pershing-Akron-Bippus
Installed 1955, control machine in dispatcher's office in Huntington
Control machine expanded 1959