CHICAGO'S INTERLOCKINGS

ELGIN JOLIET & EASTERN

Western Subdivision

Now owned by CN.


WAUKEGAN
Tower listed with Chicago & North Western

UPTON
Tower listed with Chicago & North Western

RONDOUT
Tower listed with Milwaukee Road

LEITHTON
Tower listed with Soo Line

BARRINGTON
Mechanical interlocking installed 1890
Closed May 3, 2003, demolished August, 2006

Crossing with Union Pacific former Chicago & North Western Harvard Subdivision.

SPAULDING
Mechanical interlocking installed 1890
Interlocking rebuilt 1909
Closed mid 1980's
Tower relocated 1988 to Illinois Railway Museum for display and preservation

Crossing with CP former Milwaukee Road Elgin Subdivision.

JA TOWER (West Chicago)
Electric interlocking installed 1901
Closed 1949, remotely controlled from JB Tower

Former crossing of Elgin Joliet & Eastern with Chicago & North Western Belvidere Subdivision. In 1961, Chicago & North Western reconfigured its trackage near its West Chicago yard, enabling the Belvidere Subdivision trains to cross at JB Tower.

JB TOWER (West Chicago)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1889
Electric interlocking installed 1901
New tower constructed 1926
STILL IN USE

Crossing with Union Pacific former Chicago & North Western Geneva Subdivision.

PLAINFIELD

Little is known about this interlocking, other than it involved Milwaukee Road freight trains using trackage rights via Elgin Joliet & Eastern between Joliet and Aurora.

BRIDGE JCT.
Electric interlocking installed 1934

Bridge over Des Plaines River.

JOLIET (AT&SF JCT.)
Interlocking installed 1898

Little is known about this interlocking, other than that in the early 1900's, this was an interchange with Santa Fe.