CHICAGO'S INTERLOCKINGS

ELGIN JOLIET & EASTERN

Eastern Subdivision

Now owned by CN.


EAST JOLIET
Mechanical interlocking installed 1889
Electric interlocking installed 1911
Closed 1992, demolished March 23, 2010

Crossing with Metra Rock Island District, and a short distance south formerly crossed New York Central Joliet Branch, abandoned 1976.

MATTESON
Mechanical interlocking installed 1893

Crossing, prior to elevation of Illinois Central over Elgin Joliet & Eastern in 1922. Both lines are now part of CN, and in 2011 an elaborate new double wye connection was constructed between these two lines.

JAY TOWER (Chicago Heights)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1892
Electric interlocking installed 1910
Closed September, 1993, demolished 2012

Crossing with Union Pacific former Chicago & Eastern Illinois main line.

DYER
Tower listed with Monon

HARTSDALE
Tower listed with Pennsylvania Railroad

GRIFFITH
Mechanical interlocking installed
Electric interlocking installed 1910
New tower constructed 1924
Closed December, 1999
Tower relocated a short distance northeast, for display

Crossing and junction of CN former Grand Trunk Western and Elgin Joliet & Eastern lines. Until 1980, the Erie and until 1981, the Chesapeake & Ohio lines from the southeast converged here into a paired track, which continued northwest towards Chicago. Going east, the former Elgin Joliet & Eastern turned north towards Gary. But an Elgin Joliet & Eastern branch formerly continued east to Porter. And until the late 1970's, the New York Central Joliet Branch paralleled the Elgin Joliet & Eastern on the north side.

VAN LOON
Mechanical interlocking installed 1905
Closed 1990, demolished winter 1994-1995

Crossing with Norfolk Southern former Nickel Plate.

IVANHOE
Tower listed with New York Central