WISCONSIN'S INTERLOCKINGS

MILWAUKEE ROAD

La Crosse Division/Second Subdivision

Now owned by Canadian Pacific.

Was mostly a double track line with single direction ABS, until installation of single track CTC in 1990's.


PORTAGE YARD
Mechanical interlocking installed 1907
Closed by 1940's/non interlocked

West end of Portage Yard.

NEW LISBON
Electric interlocking installed 1945
Closed by 1970's, remotely controlled by CTC dispatcher in La Crosse

Junction with former Milwaukee Road Wisconsin Valley Division.

CAMP DOUGLAS
Mechanical interlocking installed 1892
Replaced with automatic interlocking around 1964

Former crossing with Chicago & North Western CSPM&O main line, abandoned 1980's.

SPARTA
Remote interlocking installed 1945, controlled by CTC dispatcher in La Crosse

Junction with former Milwaukee Road Viroqua Branch.

MEDARY
Mechanical interlocking installed 1892

Former crossing with Chicago & North Western Winona Subdivision, abandoned 1973, former junction with Chicago & North Western La Crosse Branch, abandoned 1987.

Click for Google Map of La Crosse

GRAND CROSSING (La Crosse)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1893
Closed 1991

Crossing with BNSF former Burlington Route La Crosse Division main line, former crossing with Chicago & North Western La Crosse Branch, abandoned 1987.


EARLY CTC INSTALLATIONS

Tunnel City-Raymore
Installed 1930's, control machine at uncertain location
Replaced 1950 with new control machine in dispatcher's office in La Crosse

CTC on single track segment through tunnel, on what otherwise was a double track line. Little information is available for original CTC installation.

Tunnel City-Raymore
Installed 1950, control machine in dispatcher's office in La Crosse

CTC on single track segment through tunnel, on what otherwise was a double track line.