Segments now owned by CSX, some segments abandoned.
The 1981 closure of South Hammond Yard resulted in abandonment of line through Hammond. After then, Amtrak trains switched to and from former Pennsylvania Railroad line at Air Line interlocking, a short distance north of the GT Crossing.
Click for Google Map of Northwest Lake County
CALUMET RIVER DRAWBRIDGE
Electric interlocking installed 1912
Bridge over Calumet River was formerly a drawbridge. It has not been determined when the bridge became permanently fixed.
Tower listed with Indiana Harbor Belt
Mechanical interlocking installed 1907
Located near Kenwood Street, crossing with the Hammond Belt Railway, a subsidiary of Chesapeake & Ohio. The line was likely abandoned in the mid 1920's, and it was intended as a means for Chesapeake & Ohio to have its own route into Chicago.
AIR LINE (Munster)
Tower listed with Pennsylvania Railroad
ABOVE ABANDONED 1990
Click for Google Map of Southwest Lake County
GT CROSSING (Munster)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1908
Replaced with automatic interlocking 1950
Former crossing with Grand Trunk Western. Effective June 30, 1993, Amtrak trains and remaining freight trains began using former Grand Trunk Western west of GT Crossing. Which enabled abandonment of remainder of Monon route north of there, along with connecting former Pennsylvania Railroad line. Interlocking now consists of a connection with former Grand Trunk Western, later CN, and in 2013 acquired by CSX. Interlocking now controlled by CSX dispatcher.
Electric interlocking installed 1904
Replaced with automatic interlocking 1980
Crossing with CN former Elgin Joliet & Eastern, and former crossing with New York Central Joliet Branch, abandoned late 1970's.
Mechanical interlocking installed 1906
Replaced with automatic interlocking 1962
Crossing with Norfolk Southern former New York Central Danville line.
Mechanical interlocking installed 1905
Replaced with automatic interlocking 1960's
Crossing with New York Central Kankakee Branch.
Mechanical interlocking installed 1898
Former crossing with Chicago Attica & Southern Railroad, abandoned 1946.
Electric interlocking installed 1953
Crossing of what historically were lines from Louisville to Michigan City, and from Chicago to Indianapolis. Eventually the line to Michigan City became a branch line. The only interlocked switch was on the line from Chicago, selecting between routes to Indianapolis or to Louisville.
Automatic interlocking installed 1950
Crossing with Toledo Peoria & Western (former Pennsylvania Railroad) Effner Branch.