CHICAGO'S INTERLOCKINGS

BURLINGTON ROUTE

Chicago & Aurora Subdivision

Now owned by BNSF. Route of Metra commuter trains and various Amtrak trains.

A three track line, originally set up primarily for right hand operation, with numerous segments signaled for bidirectional operation. With CTC eventually leading to full bidirectional operation. This line has numerous interlockings, consisting of crossovers between the main tracks. In 1956, this was one of the earliest large CTC installations in the Chicago area, described below. The CTC installation occurred mostly between 1956 and 1959, eventually resulting in elimination of all towers except Union Avenue and Aurora. Those two towers were closed in later years.

Several additional interlockings previously existed, closed long before the installation of CTC.

In 1923, completion of a track elevation project in Aurora resulted in a new station and other changes.


Click for Google Maps of Chicago Area

CANAL STREET
Mechanical interlocking
Closed 1932

Crossing with St. Charles Air Line prior to grade separation, replaced with Union Avenue in 1932.

UNION AVENUE
Electric interlocking installed 1932
Closed October, 1992, demolished 1995

Connection with Union Station trackage and St. Charles Air Line, including wye movements at the south end of Union Station.

ASHLAND AVENUE
Electric interlocking installed 1909
Closed 1932

ROBEY STREET
Mechanical interlocking installed 1911
Closed around 1930's

Controlled movements to and from Western Avenue roundhouse.

KEDZIE
Electric pneumatic interlocking installed 1900
Closed 1956

CICERO
Electric interlocking installed 1919
Closed 1956

East end of Cicero Yard. Formerly known as Hawthorne Tower.

LA VERGNE
Electric interlocking installed 1918
Closed 1956

West end of Cicero Yard. Formerly known as Clyde Tower.

HARLEM AVENUE
Electric interlocking installed 1913
Closed September 15, 1942

Former crossing with Chicago & West Towns Railway. A streetcar route which in 1941 was replaced with buses, and evolved to Pace bus route #302.

RIVERSIDE
Closed by 1950's

Former location of a small yard and roundhouse.

CONGRESS PARK
Closed 1959

Interchange with Indiana Harbor Belt. This interlocking has since been relocated east of the Congress Park station.

Click for Google Map of Du Page County

HIGHLANDS
Remote interlocking installed 1954, controlled from Congress Park

East of Hinsdale. Control transferred to dispatcher in 1959 with installation of CTC.

HINSDALE
Closed June 20, 1932

A tower existed here, little is known about it.

WEST HINSDALE
Remote interlocking installed 1954, controlled from Congress Park

West of Hinsdale. Control transferred to dispatcher in 1959 with installation of CTC.

DOWNERS GROVE
Electric interlocking installed 1930
Closed 1959

Crossovers have been removed.

EOLA
Closed 1962

East end of Eola Yard.

Click for Google Map of Kane County/South

WEST EOLA
Closed 1966

West end of Eola Yard. Also junction with spur serving Hill Yard, along with Aurora Transportation Center which opened in 1986. Hill Yard is where commuter train equipment is stored.

AURORA
Electric interlocking installed 1924
Closed 1986

Interlocking included then new station constructed in conjunction with track elevation through Aurora, along with junction southwest of station previously part of South Aurora interlocking.

TOWER 38 (South Aurora)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1891
Interlocking rebuilt 1909
Closed 1924

Junction where the lines southwest to Galesburg and west to Savanna split.


EARLY CTC INSTALLATIONS

Chicago-Aurora
Installed 1956, control machine in dispatcher's office at Cicero Yard
Completed 1967