ILLINOIS'S INTERLOCKINGS

BURLINGTON ROUTE

Aurora & Galesburg Subdivision

Now owned by BNSF.

Double track line, which originally received ABS between 1916 and 1918. Information is sketchy for several interlockings, which did not involve other railroads and were presumably less subject to state regulation. And many towers presumably had been established earlier for a manual block system, as well as for the convenience of occasional left hand running. CTC was installed between 1964 and 1968, described below, enabling the elimination of many towers.


AURORA
Tower listed with main line

MONTGOMERY

Junction with Montgomery & Streator Subdivision, now Illinois Railway.

BRISTOL

SOMONAUK

EARLVILLE
Mechanical interlocking installed 1895
Interlocking rebuilt 1908

Former junction with Burlington Paw Paw & Burgess Jct. Subdivision, crossing with Union Pacific former Chicago & North Western Troy Grove Subdivision.

MS TOWER (Mendota)
Closed by early 1960's

East end of yard at Mendota. In later years was controlled remotely from Mendota Tower.

IC TOWER (Mendota)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1904
Closed around 1970's

Former crossing with Illinois Central Amboy District, abandoned 1984, and with Milwaukee Road Rochelle & Southern line, abandoned 1980. And former junction with Burlington Mendota & Denrock Subdivision.

ZEARING

PRINCETON

BUDA

KEWANEE

GALVA
Mechanical interlocking installed 1890

Former crossing with Rock Island P&RI Branch, abandoned around 1960's.

WATAGA

AT&SF TOWER (Galesburg)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1910

May have been a crossing with Santa Fe main line, which by 1931 was passing under this line. May have been same thing as Throop Tower (listed below).

Click for Google Map of Galesburg

THROOP TOWER (Galesburg)
Mechanical interlocking installed 1890
Closed 1931

Early interlocking in Galesburg, replaced with Seminary Street tower.

SEMINARY STREET (Galesburg)
Electric interlocking installed 1931
Closed 1986

Tower controlled various interlockings around Galesburg and yard.


EARLY CTC INSTALLATIONS

Aurora-Galesburg
Installed 1964, control machine in dispatcher's office at Cicero Yard
Completed 1968