SAN JOSE/SANTA CLARA
Bay Area Rapid Transit District
Regional rapid transit system first opened in 1972.
Golden Gate Transit
Evolved from electric railway service introduced in 1903 by North Shore Railroad, acquired in 1907 by Northwestern Pacific Railroad. Trains operated north from Sausalito, connecting with ferry boats from San Francisco. In the early 1930's, Pacific Greyhound Lines introduced bus service between San Francisco and Portland, using the Sausalito ferries. In 1937, the Golden Gate Bridge opened, and the Greyhound buses began using the bridge. The bridge also made automobile commuting more popular, resulting with the discontinuance of the electric trains in 1941. Replacement suburban bus service was then introduced by Pacific Greyhound Lines. In 1971, the Golden Gate Bridge Highway and Transportation District formed Golden Gate Transit, which then began operating the bus service.
San Mateo County - SamTrans
In 1975 acquired 11 bus companies. Prior to then, the most notable bus operation was suburban service between San Francisco and San Jose, operated by Pacific Greyhound Lines. Service was originally introduced in 1914 by Peninsula Rapid Transit Co. In 1917, Pickwick Stages introduced through bus service between San Francisco and Los Angeles, not carrying local passengers. In 1928, Pickwick Stages acquired the Peninsula Rapid Transit Co. And in 1929, Pickwick Stages was acquired by Pacific Greyhound Lines.
Western Contra Costa Transit Authority
Formed in 1977, mostly around Hercules and Pinole.
Central Contra Costa Transit Authority
Formed in 1980, mostly around Martinez and Walnut Creek.
Eastern Contra Costa Transit Authority
Formed in 1977, mostly around Antioch and Pittsburg.
Livermore Amador Valley Transit Authority
Formed in 1985, mostly around Livermore and Pleasanton.
Altamont Commuter Express
Introduced 1998 over former Western Pacific Railroad trackage.
This Web site contains additional information on transit in the Bay Area.