EARLY STREETCAR POWER PLANTS

Electric power plants which had been owned by the streetcar companies. Such power plants generally were established during the 1890's, as electric streetcars were introduced. These power plants were phased out in the early 1900's, as the streetcar companies transitioned to purchasing electricity from Commonwealth Edison, the area utility. Little evidence remains from these power plants

Names listed are not necessarily the official names of the power plants. Current street names are used, some streets were renamed over the years. Actual addresses may not be exact.


CALUMET ELECTRIC STREET RAILWAY

BURNSIDE
9300 S. Drexel Ave. (at 93rd St.)
Same location as car house
In use 1893-1909

SOUTH CHICAGO CITY RAILWAY

EWING
9330 S. Ewing Ave.
Same location as car house
In use 1893-1910

In 1908, these two companies merged into the Calumet & South Chicago Railway Co.


CHICAGO CITY RAILWAY

DEARBORN
2001 S. Dearborn Ave.
In use 1894-1909

WABASH
Wabash Ave. at 52nd St.
In use 1893-1908

49TH STREET
49th St. at Oakley Ave.
In use 1895-1909


CHICAGO RAILWAYS

HOBBIE
1046 N. Kingsbury Ave. (at Hobbie St.)
In use 1906-1912

WESTERN
50 N. Western Ave. (at Washington Blvd.)
In use 1896-1914


CHICAGO ELECTRIC TRANSIT CO.

CALIFORNIA
2710 W. Roscoe Ave. (at California Ave.)
In use 1894-1915

Chicago Electric Transit Co. was merged in 1899 into Chicago Consolidated Traction Co.

CHICAGO NORTH SHORE STREET RAILWAY

EDGEWATER
5847 N. Broadway (near Ardmore Ave.)
Same location as car house
In use 1891-1911

Chicago North Shore Street Railway Co. was sold in 1894 to North Chicago Electric Railway Co., and merged in 1899 into Chicago Consolidated Traction Co.

CICERO & PROVISO STREET RAILWAY

WEST TOWNS
259 Lake St., Oak Park
Same location as car house
In use 1890-1910

Cicero & Proviso Street Railway was merged in 1899 into Chicago Consolidated Traction Co.

In 1908, Chicago Consolidated Traction Co. was merged into Chicago Railways. And in 1910, that former Cicero & Proviso Street Railway trackage in the suburbs was sold to County Traction Co., and in 1913 became part of Chicago & West Towns Railway Co.


CHICAGO GENERAL RAILWAY

31ST STREET
3240 W. 31st St. (at Spaulding Ave.)
Same location as car house
In use 1893-1909

In 1905, Chicago General Railway was sold to Southern Street Railway.