CABLE CAR POWER PLANTS

Power plants for the cable cars, which operated in Chicago between 1882 and 1906. Several of them remain standing.


CHICAGO CITY RAILWAY

21ST STREET
2100 S. State St. at 21st St.
In use 1882-1906 for State route
Building sold, demolished

52ND STREET
5201 S. State St.
In use 1887-1906 for State route
Building demolished

55TH STREET
800 E. 55th St. (at Cottage Grove Ave.)
In use 1887-1906 for Cottage Grove route
Building demolished


NORTH CHICAGO STREET RAILROAD

CLARK
1139 N. Clark St. (at Elm St.)
In use 1888-1906 for Clark and Clybourn routes
Building passed into CTA ownership, demolished

LA SALLE
500 N. La Salle St. (at Illinois St.)
In use 1888-1906 for Clark route
Building remains standing, now used by a restaurant

LINCOLN
1001 W. Wrightwood Ave. (at Lincoln Ave./Sheffield Ave.)
In use 1889-1906 for Lincoln route
Building demolished, replaced with new car house


WEST CHICAGO STREET RAILROAD

MILWAUKEE
1091 N. Milwaukee Ave. (at Cleaver Ave.)
In use 1890-1906 for Milwaukee route
Adapted in 1908 into substation for electric streetcars

ROCKWELL
2560 W. Madison St. (at Rockwell Ave.)
In use 1890-1906 for Madison route
Building subsequently rented out as roller rink, demolished

VAN BUREN
570 W. Van Buren St. (at Jefferson St.)
In use 1893-1906 for Blue Island and Halsted routes
Adapted in 1906 into substation for electric streetcars

WASHINGTON
600 W. Washington St. (at Jefferson St.)
In use 1890-1906 for Madison and Milwaukee routes
Building remains standing, now used as a union hall

12TH STREET
Blue Island Ave. at 12th St./Roosevelt Rd.
In use 1893-1906 for Blue Island and Halsted routes
Building sold, demolished


Additional information on cable cars in Chicago, San Francisco, and other cities, is available at the fine Cable Car Home Page.