Between 1944 and 1948, the White Motor Co. supplied the Chicago Surface Lines with 297 gasoline powered buses. #3407 was retired from regular service in 1955, and is now preserved in its original paint scheme by the Illinois Railway Museum.
CTA bus #8499 basically looked like a typical propane powered bus supplied to the CTA by Flxible throughout the 1950's. But this "one of a kind" bus was built in 1960, and had a "new look" front and was diesel powered. And mechanically it was similar to the "new look" buses delivered throughout the 1960's. Bus was displayed in downtown Chicago on September 30, 1997, in commemoration of the CTA's 50th anniversary.
Although CTA acquired mostly Flxible propane buses throughout the 1950's, a few General Motors diesel buses did make it into CTA service. In 1952, the CTA inherited 595 buses with its acquisition of the Chicago Motor Coach company. Most of the CMC buses were GM diesels such as #605, built in 1950 and preserved at the Illinois Railway Museum.