Official Web site of the Greater Peoria Mass Transit District.
In 1970, the Greater Peoria Mass Transit District became responsible for all transit lines in the Peoria area. The last streetcars ran in 1946.
In 1888, several streetcar companies were consolidated into the Central Railway Co. For many years, the streetcar system was part of the Illinois Power & Light Co., which also operated interurban lines in the area. After the elimination of streetcars in 1946, various companies operated the bus system until the public takeover in 1970.
Map showing streetcar system at its peak.
Buses have operated in Peoria since 1923.
The various carhouses in the Peoria area were eventually replaced with a single modern bus garage.
Some information for this page is from The Central Electric Railfans' Association (CERA) Bulletin 99, "The Smaller Electric Railways of Illinois", and from the January-March 1995 issue of the magazine "Motor Coach Age".
Chicago Transit & Railfan Web Site