By 1912, all street railways in the Oakland area were consolidated into one company which would be known as the Key System. One major component of the Oakland transit operations was trans-bay service connecting Oakland with San Francisco. Trains connected with ferry boats until 1939, when the Bay Bridge was completed. For many years, the Key System operated the local and trans-bay services separately. In addition, the Southern Pacific Railroad operated a competing trans-bay electric rail service until 1941. In 1960, the Alameda Contra Costa County Transit District became responsible for public transportation in the East Bay area, acquiring the Key System. The last streetcars ran in 1948, and the last trans-bay trains ran in 1958.
AC Transit Bus Roster
Jon Bell's Rail Transit Pages/San Francisco