"America's Last Interurban" opened in 1904 as the Chicago Lake Shore and South Bend Railroad, renamed in 1925 to the Chicago South Shore and South Bend Railroad, and acquired by the Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District in 1989.
In addition, between 1926 and 1963, the Chicago South Shore and South Bend Railroad operated connecting bus service between Michigan City and Benton Harbor, Michigan.
Between 1892 and 1940, streetcars operated in Hammond and East Chicago. Buses continued to operate until 1971. And after a brief period of no transit service, modest new publicly funded bus systems were created in East Chicago in 1974, and in Hammond in 1976. But funding problems resulted in the end of the Hammond bus service in 2012.
This city was developed by United States Steel, whose plants originally became the main focus of the streetcar system. Streetcars operated between 1902 and 1947. Gary was also the hub of a small interurban railway system.
The Northern Indiana Railway, and various predecessor and successor companies, once operated all local and interurban public transportation in a large region of northern Indiana. Streetcars existed in South Bend between 1885 and 1940, and in other cities between 1886 and 1932. And interurban railway service existed between 1898 and 1934.
Chicago Transit & Railfan Web Site