CHICAGO'S LOST STATIONS

MONON ROUTE

First Sub-Division

Intercity trains operated until 1967, with Hammond Lowell Rensselaer Monon and Lafayette the only surviving stations when passenger service was discontinued. Amtrak later introduced service via this route nonstop between Chicago and Lafayette, although later added stops at Dyer and Rensselaer.

Milepost locations are indicated, distance from Chicago.

Exact locations are not available for all stations.


Hammond (20.7) - Union Station, used by Erie, Monon, and Chesapeake & Ohio, was located at 423 Sibley Blvd. In 1953 that station was replaced with a new station south of Douglas St. near Lyman Ave.

Lowell (44.8) - station was located south of Commercial Ave., on the east side of the track. The station building still stands.

Rensselaer (73.1) - station was located north of Cullen Ave., on the west side of the track. The Amtrak station now occupies that location.

Monon (88.4) - station was located at the southwest quadrant of the crossing, between the crossing and the main line track. The station building still stands.

Brookston (106.2) - station was located south of 3rd St., on the east side of the track.

Lafayette (120.0) - station was located at the southwest corner of North St. and 5th St. The railroad operated in the middle of 5th St. at the time. The station building still stands.


MAPPING THE STATIONS

Locations of stations, using Google Maps. Satellite views are also available.

Hammond Area
South Lake County
Jasper County
White County
Lafayette-Tippecanoe County